Declaration of resignation from the church
Withdrawal from a church, religious community or ideological community must be declared to the competent authority.
The declaration of resignation must be submitted in person.
The change in religious affiliation under registration law is transmitted electronically by the competent authority to the tax authorities. The employer automatically learns of leaving the church by retrieving the electronic wage tax deduction characteristics (ELStAM), which are stored at the Federal Central Tax Office (BZSt).
An interview with the tax office is therefore no longer necessary, the employee must inform the employer accordingly.
Who should I contact?
The responsibility lies with the municipality, the joint municipality and the city in which you have your domicile or habitual residence.
- at least 14 years of age
- Persons who have not yet reached the age of 14:
- The legal representative who is entitled to custody of the person (parents, one parent if applicable) can declare his or her resignation from the church.
- Children who have reached the age of 12
- The resignation cannot be declared against their will.
Which documents are required?
- Identity card or passport
- if available: baptismal certificate
What are the fees?
Fee: 30,00 EURPayment in advance: NoLeaving the church
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
The withdrawal from the church takes effect on the day of the declaration. However, the church tax liability does not end until the end of the calendar month in which the declaration became effective.
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.