Exchange your old driver's license for a new driver's license
Many holders of a driver's license are still on the road with the old paper driver's license. Since 19.01.2022, these documents have gradually lost their validity – staggered according to the year of birth of the holder.
If the validity of your old paper driving licence has expired, you must have it replaced by the currently valid uniform card driving licence of the European Union (EU).
As a holder of an older driver's license in credit card format, you are also affected by the exchange campaign.
Card driving licences issued from 19.01.2013 onwards are limited to 15 years. Driving licences that have been previously issued are subject to certain deadlines for exchanging them.
Based on your year of birth, you can see in the following overview when you have to exchange your driver's license. These deadlines apply to driving licences issued up to and including 31.12.1998:
- before 1953 - 19.01.2033
- 1953 to 1958 - 19.07.2022
- 1959 to 1964 - 19.01.2023
- 1965 to 1970 - 19.01.2024
- 1971 or later - 19.012025
Based on the year of issue, you can see in the following overview by when you have to exchange your driver's license. These deadlines apply to driving licences issued on or after 01.01.1999:
- 1999 to 2001 - 19.01.2026
- 2002 to 2004 - 19.01.2027
- 2005 to 2007 - 19.01.2028
- 2008 - 19.01.2029
- 2009 - 19.01.2030
- 2010 - 19.01.2031
- 2011 - 19.01.2032
- 2012 to 18.01.2013 - 19.01.2033
- Holders of a driving licence whose year of birth is before 1953 must also exchange the driving licence by 19.01.2033, regardless of the year of issue of the driving licence.
- The respective time limit only applies to the driver's license document, not to the underlying driver's license. A medical examination or other checks are usually not associated with the exchange of documents.
- The rights documented in the driver's license remain in principle even if the document is exchanged.
What are the fees?
- The fee is based on the Schedule of Fees for Road Traffic Measures (RFees).
- If the driver's license is sent directly to the home address, an additional shipping fee will be charged.
Technically approved by
Federal Ministry of Digital Affairs and Transport (BMDV)
Professionally released on
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.