Activate online ID card
The online ID card allows you to take care of digitally offered administrative services and business services online. Online ID is possible through a chip in your ID card, provided that the online ID card is activated. Since 2017, this chip has been activated by default in ID cards for citizens who were older than 16 years at the time of application.
If you apply for a new ID card and you are over 16 years of age, you can easily activate the online ID card yourself by setting your self-selected, six-digit PIN. You will receive all information about this by post in your so-called "PIN letter". You can set your self-chosen, six-digit PIN when you pick up your ID card and later at the Citizens' Registration Office or in apps for the online ID card, such as AusweisApp2.
If the online card is not activated (cards issued before July 2017 at the request of the applicant) or if you were under 16 years old at the time of issue, you will need the support of your competent authority during activation. Please contact your authority for an appointment. You must bring your ID with you to the appointment.
For example, with your online ID card, you can:
- Apply for BAföG online,
- Activate your SIM card online,
- use online services of the German Pension Insurance for your insurance account and
- Identify with PostIdent via the PostIdent app
If you were at least 16 years old at the time of applying for your new ID, your online ID is usually already activated. It is ready for use by setting the self-selected, six-digit PIN. To do this, proceed as follows:
- After applying for a new identity card, you will receive the so-called "PIN letter" by post.
- Follow the instructions in the letter to set your individual PIN for the online badge. The PIN can be set at your citizens' registration office directly when you pick up the ID card and at any time via apps for the online ID card, such as AusweisApp2.
If you want to activate the online ID function at a later date, proceed as follows:
- Contact your local identity card authority for an appointment. You must bring your identity card with you to the appointment.
- After you have set the self-selected, six-digit PIN for the online ID card at the authority, it is ready for use.
You are in possession of a German identity card.
Which documents are required?
- Identity card
What are the fees?
There are no costs for you by activating the online ID.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
There are no deadlines for you.
It takes no more than 5 minutes to process.
Applications / forms
Personal appearance: yes (substitution not possible)
Online procedure: no
Written form: no
Technically approved by
Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community, DV 2
Professionally released on
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.