Please enter a search term.

Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Apply for permission to work as an insurance consultant

As an insurance consultant, you advise people on:

  • the agreement,
  • Modification or
  • Review of insurance contracts.

In addition, in the event of an insured event, you advise or represent persons out of court in the exercise of claims arising from insurance contracts.

For your work as an insurance consultant, you need a permit from your locally responsible IHK.

In addition to obtaining permission, you must also register in the insurance intermediary register. With the application for permission, you can also submit an application for entry in the register of intermediaries.

As an insurance consultant, you may not accept any benefits (commissions) from insurance companies, nor

  • be otherwise dependent on insurance undertakings, or
  • accept an economic advantage.

They work exclusively in the interest of your customers and may only be paid for by them.

Special features for foreign nationals:

If you are a foreign national and have an establishment in another Member State of the European Union (EU), you must register in that country. You do not need a permit in Germany nor can you register in the German insurance intermediary register.

The same provisions apply to foreign nationals from non-EU countries as to German nationals. These also apply to EU citizens who register a corresponding business exclusively in Germany.

Process flow

You can apply for permission to work as an insurance consultant in writing:

  • Download the application form on the website of your local IHK. Fill it out completely.
  • Then send it with the necessary documents to your responsible IHK.
  • As soon as you have provided all the information and the documents are complete, the IHK will decide on your application.
  • After a positive examination, you will receive permission and, if necessary, you will be entered in the insurance intermediary register.
  • The permission granted is valid indefinitely. It only ends when you do without it. Under certain conditions, the IHK may revoke or withdraw the permission and have you deleted from the register of intermediaries.

Note: As a rule, your locally responsible IHK also offers an online procedure.


  • They have the reliability necessary for commercial operations. You are not considered reliable if you have been convicted of one of the following violations in the last 5 years:
    • Crime
    • Theft
    • Embezzlement
    • Blackmail
    • Fraud
    • Unfaithfulness
    • Money laundering
    • Forgery of documents
    • Fencing
    • Usury
    • Insolvency offences
  • They live in orderly financial circumstances. You do not meet this requirement if:
    • opens insolvency proceedings against your assets, or
    • has been rejected for lack of assets, or
    • You are entered in the debtor register.
  • You have the necessary expertise. Proof of the required expertise is possible by:
    • a proficiency test before the Chamber of Industry and Commerce or
    • through equivalent training qualifications and possibly corresponding professional experience.
  • You have taken out professional indemnity insurance. Currently, a minimum coverage of:
    • EUR 1,276,000 for each insured event and
    • EUR 1,919,000 for all claims of a year in total.

Which documents are required?

  • Copy of your valid identity card or passport
  • for proof of the entrepreneurial legal form:
    • at the company's headquarters in Germany:
      • Extract from the commercial register or the partnership register, in the case of companies registered in a register, otherwise
      • a copy of the articles of association
    • in the case of the company's registered office abroad: documents from the country of residence proving the legal form
  • for proof of personal reliability:
    • if you are resident in Germany:
      • Certificate of good conduct (document type O) and
      • Excerpt from the Central Trade Register
    • for residents abroad: Appropriate documents from your home country that prove your personal reliability
  • for proof of orderly financial circumstances:
    • if you are resident in Germany:
      • Extract from the debtor register
      • Certificate from the insolvency court
      • Certificate from the tax office in tax matters
    • for residents abroad: Corresponding documents from your home country proving your orderly financial circumstances
  • Certificate of competence of the Chamber of Industry and Commerce about existing necessary knowledge and legal regulations of the insurance industry
  • Proof by an insurance undertaking of the existence of professional indemnity insurance for the insurance industry

In the case of legal entities, you only need to complete the application form for the legal entity itself. You must submit all personal documents for all persons entitled to the management of the company. For the legal entity, you also need an excerpt from the Central Trade Register.

Partnerships are not eligible for permission as such. Therefore, every managing partner needs permission. For each of these persons, you must submit a completed application form and all personal documents.

Attention: To check the personal reliability, your IHK can request further documents. Some of the documents submitted may not exceed an expiry period at the time of the decision (not only at the time of filing). Inquire about this with your IHK.

What are the fees?

  • The fees for granting permission for insurance consultants and for registration in the insurance intermediary register vary depending on the Chamber of Industry and Commerce

Note: There may also be costs for requesting documents that you are required to provide during the procedure.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

  • Decision on the application: within 3 months

Note: You may not start the activity until permission has been granted.

Processing duration

If all documents and information are available, the IHK decides promptly. Regularly, however, within three months at the latest.

Applications / forms

Forms: can be obtained from your competent Chamber of Commerce and Industry

Online procedure possible: partially, depending on the CHAMBER OF INDUSTRY and Commerce

Written form required: yes

Personal appearance required: no


In Lower Saxony, a pre-litigation procedure is not provided for by § 80 Nds. Justice Act. Therefore, no objection is admissible, but rather an administrative court action must be brought directly.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour, Transport and Digitalisation

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Further Links

Single points of contact of the state of Lower Saxony, Single points of contact of the countries of Europe, advice and assistance for EU citizens and their families.