Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Apply for a disability assessment

Are you affected by a disability and have your health impaired for more than 6 months? Then, under certain conditions, you can apply for your disability to be determined.

As a result of the examination, you may be found to have a degree of disability. If the examination of the required documents shows a degree of disability of 50 or more, you can be issued a severely disabled person's pass.

In the course of the examination, you may be diagnosed with special health restrictions in addition to the degree of disability. If necessary, the corresponding marks will be entered in the severely disabled person's pass.

The following marks can be recognized by the competent authority and entitle you to further compensation for disadvantages:

  • G – significant impairment of the ability to move in road traffic
  • aG – exceptional walking disability
  • H – Helplessness
  • B – Entitlement to permanent accompaniment when using public transport
  • RF – Reduction of licence fees and/or telephone charges
  • GL – Deafness
  • BL – Blindness
  • TBL – deafblindness

Process flow

You can apply for the disability to be determined in writing:

  • Submit the application to the competent authority.
  • After the application has been submitted, the documents you have submitted will be reviewed.
  • If necessary, the competent authority will independently request further documents to clarify the medical facts.
  • After reviewing your documents, you will receive a notification from the competent authority, which may determine your degree of disability and any marks.


  • Your health has been so impaired for more than 6 months that it makes it difficult or impossible for you to participate in social life.
  • Their health impairments are documented by medical records.

Which documents are required?

  • informal application for the determination of a disability
  • Application form of the competent authority
  • If available:
    • other evidence of the degree of disability (e.g. pension notice or corresponding administrative or court decision)
    • relevant medical documents, e.g. expert opinions
  • in case of representation: power of attorney or identity card of the supervisor
  • for applicants without citizenship of an EU Member State: Proof of legal residence

What are the fees?

There are no costs.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

There is no deadline.


  • Contradiction
  • Complaint

What else should I know?

Although an informal application is possible, you will need to fill out the application form afterwards.

Disability and ID – Answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Technically approved by

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)