Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Applying for a disability assessment

Are you affected by a disability and have been in poor health for more than 6 months? Then, under certain conditions, you can apply for your disability to be determined.

As a result of the examination, you may be diagnosed with a degree of disability. If the examination of the required documents shows a degree of disability of 50 or more, you can be issued with a severely disabled person's pass.

In the course of the examination, you may be diagnosed with special health restrictions in addition to the degree of disability. If necessary, the corresponding marks will be entered in the severely disabled person's pass.

The following marks can be recognised by the competent authority and entitle you to further compensation for disadvantages:

  • G – significant impairment of the ability to move in road traffic
  • aG – exceptional walking disability
  • H – Helplessness
  • B – Authorisation for permanent accompaniment when using public transport
  • RF – Reduction of broadcasting fees and/or a reduction in telephone connection fees
  • GL – Deafness
  • BL – Blindness
  • TBL – Deafblindness

Process flow

You can apply for the determination of the disability in writing:

  • Submit the application to the competent authority.
  • Once the application has been submitted, the documents you have submitted will be reviewed.
  • If necessary, the competent authority will request further documents independently in order to clarify the medical facts.
  • Once your documents have been checked, you will receive a notice from the competent authority stating that you have a degree of disability and any signs that may be present.

Who should I contact?

In Lower Saxony, responsibility lies with the Lower Saxony State Office for Social Affairs, Youth and Family.


  • Your health has been impaired for more than 6 months in such a way that it makes it difficult or impossible for you to participate in social life.
  • Their health impairments are documented by medical records.

Which documents are required?

  • informal application for a disability assessment
  • Application form from the competent authority
  • If available:
    • other proof of the degree of disability (e.g. pension notice or corresponding administrative or court decision)
    • relevant medical documents, such as expert opinions
  • in the case of representation: power of attorney or ID of the supervisor
  • for applicants without citizenship of an EU Member State: proof of legal residence

What are the fees?

There are no costs.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

There is no deadline.


  • Contradiction
  • Complaint

What else should I know?

Although an informal application is possible, you will be required to complete the application form afterwards.

Technically approved by

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)