Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Place of residence re-registration

The re-registration of a place of residence, e.g. due to a move, is the registration of a new residence.

If you move within Germany to a new municipality, joint municipality or city, you must register with the competent authority of your new place of residence. Thereafter, the competent office of the new place of residence will trigger a feedback to the previously responsible office. The unsubscribe is done there automatically.

The move within the municipality, joint municipality or city or .dem change of residence within a residential building must be reported to the competent authority with a notice period of 2 weeks.

Comply with your reporting obligation to avoid unnecessary problems and trouble. In the case of violation of the reporting obligation, problems arise, for example, with vehicle registration, obtaining a driver's license or applying for a certificate of good conduct.
In addition, your identity card and, if necessary, your vehicle registration document must also be changed.

Who should I contact?

The responsibility lies with the municipality, the Joint Community and the city in which you have your (new) residence.

Which documents are required?

  • Confirmation of landlord
  • If applicable, registration form

What are the fees?

Fee: free of charge
Late reports exceeding the reporting deadline of 2 weeks can be punished with a fine.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

The re-registration must take place within 2 weeks.

Applications / forms

The competent authority will provide you with the registration form free of charge.

The registration form can be downloaded from many municipal websites. Sometimes it is possible to register online directly via the Internet if the competent body provides an appropriate online reporting form with secure electronic transmission of the data. However, this message must be signed by you with a qualified electronic signature. For this purpose, a corresponding signature card is required. This is available via teleservice providers, banks and savings banks.


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)