For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Commercial road haulage - apply for a permit

Road haulage is the commercial or paid transport of goods by motor vehicles with a maximum permissible weight of 3.5 tonnes, including trailers.

Industrial road haulage is in principle subject to authorisation. The so-called works transport, i.e. road haulage for the own purposes of an undertaking under certain conditions, is not subject to authorisation.

If the vehicles are only in use throughout Germany, you need a permit for commercial road haulage (according to Section 3 of the Road Transport Act). For cross-border journeys within the European Union, the European Economic Area (EEA)* and Switzerland, you will need a Community licence (EU licence) and, where applicable, a driver's certificate for third-country nationals.

You can also use the Community licence for transport sit-in sit-in within Germany and the EEA countries ("cabotage services").

For commercial road haulage with countries outside the European Economic Area, you need bilateral permits or so-called CEMT licences in addition to the national permit for the German share of the route (licence for commercial road haulage or Community licence) for parts of the route in third countries.

If you are travelling in or through Switzerland as part of commercial road haulage, you will need a valid Community licence.

Licences for the commercial haulage of road transport and the Community licence may be granted on a limited basis, subject to conditions or subject to conditions. The national licence may be granted for a period of validity of up to 10 years. The Community licence is issued for a year.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page