Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Apply for recognition of a foreign professional qualification for education or training in the field of agriculture

You can have a training qualification or continuing education qualification from abroad officially recognized in Germany. The procedure for recognition is called: equivalence determination.
Please note: Your qualification must be state-recognized in the country where you trained. Informal or non-formal qualifications cannot be officially recognized in Germany.

There are more than 30 different training qualifications and advanced training qualifications in the field of agriculture in Germany.
You apply for recognition at the relevant office in the federal state where you want to work. In the field of agriculture, the Chambers of Agriculture are usually responsible.

To apply for equivalence, you must identify a German training qualification or continuing education qualification. This is the so-called reference occupation. It must match your foreign professional qualification. Therefore, you should seek advice before submitting your application. When determining equivalence, the competent body compares your qualification with a specific German qualification. Important criteria in the comparison are the content and duration of the training.

You will receive a decision on the result of the procedure. The notification will list any existing professional qualifications and any qualifications that are still missing. The certificate enables employers to better assess your professional qualifications. For professionals from third countries, a recognition procedure is usually a prerequisite for the issuance of a visa. Third countries are all countries outside the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland.

You can also submit the application for recognition of equivalence from abroad.

Process flow


You submit an application for equivalency determination to the responsible office.
You may be able to send the application electronically. The competent office will inform you. You can also hand in the application with the documents to the competent body or send it by mail. Do not send originals.

Checking the equivalence

The competent body will then check: Is your professional qualification equivalent to the German professional qualification? In doing so, the competent body compares the qualifications with the help of certain criteria. Important criteria are the content and duration of the training. The competent body also takes into account your professional experience, your other certificates of competence and qualifications when carrying out the equivalence check.

Possible results of the examination

You will receive a notice with the result of the procedure. You will receive recognition if your professional qualification and the German professional qualification are equivalent.

Sometimes there are significant differences between the professional qualifications. The differences are listed in your notification. You can use this decision to obtain further qualifications and later submit a new application for equivalence.

If your professional qualification is not equivalent at all, you will not receive recognition.

Competent authority

Lower Saxony Chamber of Agriculture


  • You have a state-recognized professional qualification from abroad.
  • Your qualification must match a German training qualification or further education qualification in the field of agriculture.
  • You want to work in Germany.

Which documents are required?

The responsible office will tell you what documents you need to submit. Important documents are generally:

  • Proof of identity (identity card or passport)
  • Marriage certificate (if your name has changed due to marriage)
  • Curriculum vitae
  • Proof of your professional qualification (for example, certificates, professional certificate)
  • Proof of education
  • Evidence of your relevant work experience
  • Evidence of other relevant knowledge for the job
  • Have you ever applied for an equivalence assessment? If so, please indicate the office to which you submitted the application.
  • Perhaps: you come from a third country and do not yet live or work in the EU, EEA or Switzerland? Then you must prove: You want to work in Germany in the profession. Evidence includes, for example, applications for a job, invitations to interviews or a location note from the Central Service Office for Professional Recognition (ZSBA).

The responsible office will tell you which documents you need to submit as a simple copy, as a certified copy, or as an original.
If your documents are not in German, you must submit German translations of your documents. The translations must be done by translators who are publicly appointed or authorized.

You may need to submit additional documents during the recognition process. The responsible office will inform you.

What are the fees?

The costs generally depend on the effort required for processing.
Additional costs may arise (for example, for translations or certifications). These costs vary individually.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Sometimes documents are still missing in the procedure. The responsible office will then inform you by when you have to submit the documents.

Processing duration

Processing Time: 3 Months
The competent office will inform you if any documents are missing. If the documents are complete, the procedure takes a maximum of 3 months.


You can take legal action (for example, file an appeal) against the decision of the responsible office within a certain period of time. The decision will then be reviewed. Details on this can be found in the appeal instructions at the end of your decision. You should first talk to the responsible office before taking legal action against the decision.

What else should I know?

Procedure for late repatriates

As a late repatriate, you can go through the recognition procedure either according to the laws mentioned here or according to the Federal Expellees Act. You can decide this yourself. The competent office will advise you which procedure suits you.

Qualification analysis

You no longer have all the necessary documents for the application? Then recognition is still possible. You can prove your professional qualification with a qualification analysis, for example through a technical interview or a work sample.

Technically approved by

Federal Ministry of Education and Research

Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)