Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Apply for recognition as a specialist pharmacist with a professional qualification from third countries

The term "specialist pharmacist" is regulated in Germany. This means that you need a permit if you want to use the title "specialist pharmacist" for your specialization in the selected federal state.

With further training as a specialist pharmacist, you have acquired a pharmaceutical specialisation in addition to your qualification as a pharmacist abroad. To work as a pharmacist in Germany, you first need a license to practice medicine or a professional license. In order to be able to work as a specialist pharmacist in Germany, you must also apply for recognition of your further training as a specialist pharmacist. This allows you to use the designation "specialist pharmacist" in your respective specialization.

Note: You may only use the designation for your specialization if there is also a corresponding continuing education designation in Germany.

The permit will be granted by the competent State Chamber of Pharmacists after checking your documents and requirements.

Process flow

Before you submit the application, you must already have a licence to practise medicine as a pharmacist in Germany.

You can apply for recognition of your continuing education title as a specialist pharmacist at the competent State Chamber of Pharmacists:

  • First, you submit your application and the required documents to the Chamber of Pharmacists of the state in which you want to work.
  • If necessary, you will be asked to submit missing documents.
  • The competent authority will check whether your training is equivalent. The continuing education is equivalent if there are no significant differences between your foreign continuing education and the German continuing education.
  • You will receive a notification.
  • If significant differences are found, the equivalence of your qualification as a specialist pharmacist will not be certified:
  • You will receive a justification.
  • If necessary, conditions will be imposed. This can be attending seminars, conducting technical discussions with an authorized specialist pharmacist or even proving certain practical activitiesYou can take an exam to prove the lack of knowledge.
  • If you successfully pass the exam, you will receive recognition. You may then use the designation "specialist pharmacist" for your specialization.

You can take legal action against the decision of the competent authority within a certain period of time (e.g. file an objection). The decision will then be reviewed. Details can be found in the information on legal remedies at the end of your decision. It is best to talk to the competent authority first before taking legal action against the decision.


  • You must already have a state professional licence (Approbation) as a pharmacist valid in Germany.
  • You must prove the equivalence of your professional qualification as a specialist pharmacist.

Which documents are required?

  • Curriculum vitae with details of completed further training and professional experience
  • Proof of identity (ID card or passport)
  • Proof of German approbation
  • Certificates of further education and professional experience
  • additional evidence for the examination of equivalence
  • written declaration as to whether you have already applied for recognition from another chamber of pharmacists
  • If your documents are not available in German, you must submit German translations of your documents. Translations must be carried out by translators who are publicly appointed or authorised.

What are the fees?

Fee: 0,00 - 2000,00 EUR
Payment in advance: No
Method of payment: bank transfer If necessary, additionally: SEPA direct debit

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

There are no deadlines.

Processing duration

Processing Time: 3 - 4 Months

Applications / forms

Forms available: No

Written form required: Yes

Informal application possible: Yes

Personal appearance required: No


  • Contradiction
  • Further information on how to file an objection can be found in the notification of your application
  • Action before the Administrative Court

What else should I know?

Applications must be submitted to the Continuing Education Department of the Lower Saxony Chamber of Pharmacists.

Information on the recognition of foreign professional qualifications on the Recognition in Germany portal

Lower Saxony Chamber of Pharmacists - Continuing Education

Publicly appointed translators in Germany

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Chamber of Pharmacists, Department of Continuing Education


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)