Apply for a mudflat driver's permit for the first time
You need a permit if you want to carry out guided tours on tidal flats in the Wadden Sea in Lower Saxony. The permit requirement is intended to ensure that mudflat guides have the necessary knowledge and skills to be able to carry out mudflat tours safely and in accordance with nature conservation regulations. This applies in particular to a comprehensive local knowledge of the routes and mudflats concerned, the correct planning of a hike to avoid dangers and the appropriate behaviour in dangerous situations.
Approvalis granted by the competent authority after your documents have been reviewed and you have successfully passed an interview.
You shall inform the competent authority of your interest in taking part in the examination interview, specifying the relevant tidal flats or tidal flats. Exam interviews are offered twice a year (usually March/October) and the specific date is usually coordinated with you about three weeks in advance. They take place in Wilhelmshaven. Until the examination, all other necessary evidence and documents must be submitted.
Who should I contact?
The National Park Administration "Lower Saxony Wadden Sea" is responsible.
- You must successfully pass an exam interview, which takes place as a one-on-one interview and lasts about 120 minutes. This will determine whether you have the necessary knowledge and skills to be able to carry out mudflat tours safely and in accordance with nature conservation regulations and whether you have the necessary local knowledge of the tidal flats and routes concerned.
- In addition, you must be of legal age and reliable, and the granting of a permit must not be contrary to public safety concerns.
- In addition, further evidence is required in the form of documents to be submitted.
Which documents are required?
- Proof of participation in at least six watt routes per area/route for which a permit is sought (in the case of routes between the mainland and an island, participation in at least three watt routes in each direction) within the last two years
- Proof of training in first aid, not older than two years (or equivalent knowledge)
- German swimming badge in bronze (or proof of equivalent achievement)
- up-to-date certificate of good conduct
- up-to-date medical certificate stating your health suitability for carrying out mudflat tours
- up-to-date passport photo for the creation of a mudflat driving licence
What are the fees?
Fee: 400,00 - 500,00 EURPayment in advance: NoThe fee depends on the number of approved areas/routes. The indicated costs include the administrative fee for participation in the examination interview in the amount of 300/400 euros.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Period of Validity: 6 Years
Processing Time: 1 - 5 Working daysThe approval is granted after a successful examination interview and the completeness of the evidence and documents.
Applications / forms
Forms available: No
Written form required: Yes
Informal application possible: Yes
Personal appearance required: Yes
You may object to authorisations or refusals of authorisations within one month of notification of the decision. The objection must be submitted in writing or orally for recording to the National Park Administration "Lower Saxony Wadden Sea", Virchowstraße 1, 26382 Wilhelmshaven.
What else should I know?
The implementation of a mudflat tour without a permit is an administrative offence according to § 6 NWattFVO.
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry for the Environment, Energy and Climate Protection
Professionally released on
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.