Apply for recognition as a medical-technical laboratory assistant with a professional qualification from third countries
The profession of medical-technical laboratory assistant is regulated in Germany. This means that in order to work as a medical-technical laboratory assistant in Germany, you need a state permit. With the permit, you may use the professional title "Medical-Technical Laboratory Assistant" or "Medical-Technical Laboratory Assistant" and work in the profession.
Even with a professional qualification from a so-called third country, you can obtain state permission from the competent authority in Germany. Third countries are all countries that do not belong to the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.
In order to obtain the permit, you must have your foreign professional qualification recognized.
As of January 1, 2023, the training of professions in medical technology in Germany was reformed. The new law on professions in medical technology applies. The profession on this basis is called Medical Technologist for Laboratory Analysis or Medical Technologist for Laboratory Analysis. There is a transitional period for the recognition of foreign professional qualifications on the basis of the old law on technical assistants in medicine. Until 31.12.2026, foreign professional qualifications may still be recognized as medical-technical laboratory assistants on a transitional basis.
In the recognition procedure, the competent authority compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification and checks its equivalence. The equivalence of the professional qualification is an important prerequisite for the issuance of the state permit.
In addition to the equivalence of the professional qualification, you must meet other requirements for the granting of the permit. Other requirements are, for example, sufficient German language skills and health suitability.
If your professional qualification comes from the EU, EEA or Switzerland, different regulations apply.
You can also apply for the procedure from abroad.
You submit an application for permission to use the professional title "medical-technical laboratory assistant" or "medical-technical laboratory assistant" to the competent authority. You can submit the application with the documents to the competent authority or send it by post. Do not send originals. Sometimes you can also send the application electronically. The competent authority will inform you.
Examination of equivalence
The competent authority will then check whether you meet all the requirements. An important prerequisite is the equivalence of your professional qualification. The competent authority compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification as a medical-technical laboratory assistant. The professional qualification is equivalent if there are no significant differences between your foreign professional qualification and the German professional qualification.
Possible results of the test
If your professional qualification is equivalent, your foreign professional qualification will be recognised. The competent authority can confirm the result to you in writing. You still have to meet the other requirements. Then you will receive permission to use the professional title "medical-technical laboratory assistant" or "medical-technical laboratory assistant".
Are there any significant differences between your professional qualification and the German professional qualification? Perhaps you can compensate for the differences through your professional practice, other knowledge or skills (lifelong learning). You must prove that you have professional experience. Knowledge and skills must be certified by an authority of the state in which you acquired the knowledge or skills.
However, it may be that the essential differences cannot be compensated for by this knowledge. In this case, your foreign professional qualification will not be recognised. In this case, you are not allowed to work as a medical-technical laboratory assistant in Germany.
However, the competent authority will tell you the essential differences and why you cannot compensate for the essential differences through your professional practice.
In most cases, you can make a compensatory measure. This allows you to compensate for the significant differences.
There are various compensatory measures:
- Adaptation period: The adaptation period lasts a maximum of three years.
- Knowledge test: The knowledge test tests your knowledge in specific subjects and areas. The knowledge test is a practical exam with an exam interview.
You can choose between an adaptation period or a knowledge test.
If you successfully complete the compensatory measure and meet all other requirements, you will receive permission to use the professional title of "medical-technical laboratory assistant" or "medical-technical laboratory assistant".
Who should I contact?
Let an IQ counselling centre advise you personally on this procedure and your qualifications. The advisors will also help you with your documents before submitting your application. The consultation is free of charge.
If you are abroad: You can also reach the Central Service Centre for Professional Recognition (ZSBA) via the hotline. This offers you in-depth advice and support in the recognition procedure and carries out a location consultation.
- You have a professional qualification as a medical-technical laboratory assistant from a third country.
- You want to work in Germany as a medical-technical laboratory assistant.
- Personal suitability: You are reliable for working as a medical-technical laboratory assistant and have no criminal record.
- Health suitability: You can work mentally and physically as a medical-technical laboratory assistant.
- You have German language skills at the required language level. This is usually the language level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
Which documents are required?
- Proof of identity (ID card or passport)
- Marriage certificate (if your name has changed due to marriage)
- Curriculum vitae
- Proof of your professional qualification (e.g. certificates, professional certificate)
- Proof of training
- Proof of your relevant professional experience as a medical-technical laboratory assistant
- Proof of further relevant knowledge for working as a medical-technical laboratory assistant
- Perhaps: You come from a third country and do not yet live or work in the EU, the EEA or Switzerland? Then you have to prove that you want to work in the profession in Germany. Proof includes, for example, an application for an entry visa for gainful employment, applications for a job, invitations to job interviews, a business concept or a location note from the Central Service Agency for Professional Recognition (ZSBA).
You usually hand in these documents later. The competent authority will inform you when you should hand in the documents:
- Proof of your personal aptitude: extract from the criminal record or certificate of good conduct from your country of origin
- Proof of your health suitability: Medical certificate
- Proof of your German language skills: Language certificate
The competent authority will tell you which documents you need to submit as a simple copy, as a certified copy or in the original.
What are the fees?
The competent authority will inform you about the costs. The costs generally depend on the effort required for processing.
In addition, additional costs may arise (e.g. for translations, certifications or compensatory measures). These costs vary from person to person.
Processing Time: 4 MonthsThe competent authority will inform you if documents are missing. If the documents are complete, the procedure will take a maximum of 4 months.
Section 75 of the Medical Technology Professions Act (MT-Berufe-Gesetz - MTBG)
- in conjunction with § 1 para. 1 no. 1, § 2 para. 1 and 2 of the Act on Technical Assistants in Medicine in the version valid on 31 December 2022
- in conjunction with §§ 25b, 25c Training and Examination Ordinance for Technical Assistants in Medicine in the version valid on December 31, 2022
What else should I know?
Notice of equivalence
In the approval procedure, the equivalence is also checked (recognition procedure). You can apply for a separate notification for the result of the examination.
Procedure for ethnic German repatriates
As a late repatriate, you can go through the recognition procedure either according to the laws mentioned here or according to the Federal Expellees Act. You can decide for yourself. The competent authority will advise you on which procedure is right for you.
Technically approved by
Federal Ministry of Health
Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.