Apply for compensation for loss of earnings in the event of additional costs
The Infection Protection Act (IfSG) protects the population in Germany. It also provides financial compensation for people affected by the protective measures.
If you are quarantined at home or banned from working as a result of an official measure on the basis of the Infection Protection Act and suffer a loss of earnings as a result, you are generally entitled to compensation for the loss of earnings incurred.
In the event of a threat to their existence, the additional expenses incurred during the loss of earnings may also be reimbursed to an appropriate extent by the competent authority upon application.
Payment and application shall be made in writing to the competent authority. The application for compensation must be submitted retroactively within 2 years from the start of the ban on activity or the end of quarantine.
The application must be submitted in writing to the competent authority.
After the claim has been examined by the authority, a corresponding decision will be issued.
Who should I contact?
In Lower Saxony, Hesse and Baden-Württemberg, the districts and the independent cities are responsible. In the other federal states, the corresponding state authorities.
- There was a quarantine according to § 30 IfSG or a ban on activity according to § 31 IfSG.
- There was no way to compensate for the loss of earnings with any other reasonable activity.
- The livelihood of those affected is endangered and additional expenses have been incurred.
- The application for compensation must be submitted within 2 years from the start of the ban on activity or the end of quarantine.
- There was no illness or inability to work.
Which documents are required?
- Proof of existential threat
- Proof of income (tax assessment) of the previous year
- If available: Proof of loss of income during the period of prohibition of activity or segregation/quarantine
- If applicable, proof of insurance benefits received
- If available: Proof of the official measure that caused the loss of earnings
- For authorised representatives: If you are submitting this application on behalf of a company or a self-employed person (e.g. as a tax consultant), please submit a power of attorney.
What are the fees?
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Application Deadline: 2 YearsThe one-year period depends on the period of your segregation or prohibition of activity, or the segregation or prohibition of activity of your employees. After the deadline has expired, you are no longer entitled to compensation for loss of earnings.
Applications will be processed in the order in which they are received.
Applications / forms
Forms available: No
Written form required: Yes
Informal application possible: No
Personal appearance required: No
Online services available: No
What else should I know?
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of Social Affairs, Labour, Health and Equality
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.