Medical examination, apply for admission
The study of medicine includes a state examination. You must register in writing for admission to the exam.
Proof of passing the third section of the medical examination is a prerequisite for the license to practice medicine.
Medical training includes:
- a six-year course of study in medicine at a university or equivalent institution of higher education, which includes a continuous practical training (practical year) of 48 weeks
- training in first aid;
- a three-month nursing service,
- a clinical traineeship of four months and
- the medical examination, which must be taken in three sections.
The standard period of study, including the examination period for the second section of the medical examination, is six years and three months.
The first section of the medical examination is taken after studying medicine for two years.
The second section of the medical examination is taken after three years of medical study, including a practical year after passing the first section of the medical examination. The third section of the medical examination is taken after a study of medicine of one year after passing the second section of the medical examination.
You must apply for admission to the medical examination in writing.
Submit your application with the required documents to the competent authority.
Who should I contact?
Lower Saxony Association for the Granting of Licences to Practice Medicine (NiZzA)
- Dept. 2 State Examination Office (LPA), Nobelring 4, 30627 Hannover
(For e-mail inquiries, a telephone number is requested)
The exams are taken before a state examination board (examination board).
Which documents are required?
Among other things, you must enclose the following with your registration:
- the birth certificate, in the case of married or registered partners also the marriage / civil partnership certificate
- proof of higher education entrance qualification (university entrance qualification); in the case of certificates acquired abroad, also the notification of recognition from the competent authority
- the study book or a corresponding proof of the periods of study
- Certificate of participation in the training events (original)
Further documents may be mentioned in the application forms.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Dates of the state examinations
The current dates can be found on the IMPP website (www.impp.de) as well as on the notices at the universities.
Applications / forms
Forms available: Yes
Written form required: Yes
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of Social Affairs, Labour, Health and Equality
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.