Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Applying for recognition and proof of nursing service for medical studies

Students of human medicine must complete a three-month nursing service at a hospital or rehabilitation facility with a comparable nursing effort before starting their studies or during the non-teaching periods of their studies before registering for the first section of the medical examination. Its purpose is to introduce students to the operation and organization of a hospital and to familiarize them with the usual activities of nursing. The nursing service can be completed for one month at a time.

Process flow

Students of universities in Lower Saxony send the required certificates in the original and simple copy to the LPA.

Who should I contact?

Lower Saxony Association for the Granting of Licenses (NiZzA)

- Dept. 2 State Examination Office (LPA), Nobelring 4, 30627 Hannover


(For e-mail enquiries, a telephone number is requested)

Competent authority

Lower Saxony Association for the Granting of Licenses (NiZzA)

- Dept. 2 State Examination Office (LPA), Nobelring 4, 30627 Hannover


(For e-mail enquiries, a telephone number is requested)


  • General university degree
  • Nursing service performance

Which documents are required?

For the recognition of the three-month nursing service, the following must be submitted:

  • Completed and signed application form (this can be found in the download area of Department 2 of the State Examination Office)
  • Original nursing service certificates
  • current certificate of study period (not: certificate of enrolment; the certificate of study period can be obtained via the portal, where the certificate of enrolment can also be accessed)
  • High school diploma (original or certified copy)
  • For the recognition of a nursing service completed abroad, (1.) the nursing service certificate in German-English version must be submitted. In addition, (2.) a short employment reference is required. This usually contains: contact details and a short self-description of the respective hospital, job description, stamp and signature. If the document is not issued in German or English, a certified translation must also be attached.

In case of doubt, please contact the responsible contact person at the State Examination Office at an early stage.

What are the fees?

regular CP: free of charge

Creditable CP: 25 - 40 Euro

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?


Processing duration

depending on the individual case

Applications / forms

Forms available: Yes

Written form required: Yes

Download area Department 2 State Examination Office

What else should I know?

Crediting options for nursing services of nursing activities:

1. in the medical service of the German Armed Forces or in comparable institutions,

2. within the framework of a voluntary social year,

3. within the framework of the Federal Voluntary Service,

4. in the context of civilian service.

5. successfully completed training as a midwife or maternity nurse, as a paramedic, as an emergency paramedic, in nursing, paediatric nursing or geriatric care, as well as successfully completed training regulated by state law of at least one year's duration in nursing assistance or geriatric care.

Licensing Regulations for Physicians

Lower Saxony Association for the Granting of Licenses (NiZzA)

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Social Affairs, Labour, Health and Equality


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)