Have personal data deleted
As a citizen of the European Union, you can request that any entity that collects and processes personal data about you delete your data completely. However, this is subject to certain conditions. Notwithstanding the foregoing, such an entity must delete your personal data even without your request if it no longer needs the data for the respective purpose.
Personal data includes, for example:
- Online data, such as IP address, location data, email address
- Bank details, such as account balances, account numbers
- Identification numbers, such as ID card number or social security number
- Land Registry Entries
- Health information, such as genetic data, medical data
- general personal data, such as name, address, age, marital status
- physical characteristics, such as gender, skin, hair or eye color, height
You can assert the right to erasure vis-à-vis public and non-public bodies. Public bodies are, for example, public authorities, non-public bodies are, for example, commercial enterprises, associations or clubs.
You must request the deletion of your personal data directly from the competent public or non-public body.
You can request the deletion of your personal data online or in writing by post.
Request deletion of your personal data online:
- Access the online application form on the Federal Portal verwaltung.bund.de. This will guide you step by step through the necessary information, which you can enter electronically.
- Note: For the online application, you need an electronic identification document, for example the online function of your identity card.
- Upload the required documents as a file (in PDF, DOC, JPEG, PNG file formats, maximum 10 megabytes per file) and submit the application. Alternatively, you can submit the required documents by post.
- The public authority will usually send you the corresponding answer by post to your registered address or, in some cases, by e-mail.
Request deletion of your personal data in writing:
- You can submit your application informally.
- Send your application with the required documents by post to the public body.
- The public authority will send you the corresponding answer by post.
In order for you to have your personal data deleted, you must
- the entity from which you request erasure, collected or processed personal data about you,
- it is personal data that concerns you personally,
- it is personal data,
- which are no longer necessary for the entity that processes them,
- which have been unlawfully processed,
- for the processing of which you have withdrawn your consent in the meantime and there is no other legal basis for the processing,
- to the processing of which you have objected,
- which have to be deleted due to special legal provisions
Your personal data cannot be erased if it is processed:
- to exercise the right to freedom of expression and information;
- in order to be able to assert other legal claims,
- in order to be able to carry out a legitimate public task or where the processing is carried out in the public interest,
- for research, science or statistics and their deletion would make it impossible or at least seriously impair.
Which documents are required?
- Copy of your identity card
- Alternatively: Copy of your passport in conjunction with a copy of your registration certificate
What are the fees?
You don't have to pay anything.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
You don't have to observe any deadlines.
Your personal data must be erased without undue delay, i.e. without undue delay on the part of the entity that processes the data. As a general rule, you must be informed of the measures taken no later than 1 month after you have requested the deletion. If this is not possible, you must be informed of the reasons for the delay and the extended deadline.
Applications / forms
Online procedure possible: yes
Written form required: no
Personal appearance required: no
Confidence level: low
There are no generally applicable remedies.
Technically approved by
Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community
Professionally released on
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.