Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Apply for permission to use the professional title of Medical Technologist for Veterinary Medicine or Medical Technologist for Veterinary Medicine (formerly Veterinary Technical Assistant) from third countries

The activity as a veterinary-technical assistant or veterinary-technical assistant is regulated in Germany. This means that in order to be able to work as a veterinary-technical assistant in Germany, you need a state permit.

With this permit, you may use the professional title "Veterinary Technical Assistant" or "Veterinary Technical Assistant" and work in the profession.

Even with a professional qualification from a so-called third country, you can obtain state permission from the competent body (an authority) in Germany. Third countries are all countries that do not belong to the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

In order to obtain the permit, you must have your foreign professional qualification recognized. In the recognition procedure, the competent authority compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification and checks its equivalence. The equivalence of the professional qualification is an important prerequisite for the issuance of the state permit. In addition to the equivalence of the professional qualification, you must meet other requirements for the granting of the permit. Further requirements are, for example, sufficient German language skills and health suitability.

Process flow

Examination of equivalence

They submit an application for permission to use the professional title "veterinary technical assistant" or "veterinary technical assistant" to the competent authority. The competent authority will then check whether you meet all the requirements. An important prerequisite is the professional qualification. The competent authority compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification as a veterinary-technical assistant. The competent authority will check whether your professional qualification is equivalent. The professional qualification is equivalent if there are no significant differences between your foreign professional qualification and the German professional qualification.

Possible results of the test

If your professional qualification is equivalent, your foreign professional qualification will be recognised. The authority can confirm the result to you in writing. You still have to meet the other requirements and prove your language skills. Then you will receive permission to use the professional title of "Veterinary Medical Technical Assistant" or "Veterinary Medical Technical Assistant". If the competent authority identifies significant differences, you can compensate for the differences with your professional experience and other knowledge and skills (lifelong learning). You must prove that you have professional experience. Knowledge and skills must be certified by an authority in your country of origin. However, this knowledge may not be sufficient. In this case, you will not be able to compensate for the essential differences. In this case, your foreign professional qualification will not be recognised. However, the competent authority will tell you the essential differences and why you cannot compensate for the essential differences through your professional practice. In this case, they are not allowed to work as a veterinary-technical assistant. However, the competent authority offers you the option of completing an adaptation period or taking a knowledge test as a compensatory measure. If you successfully complete this measure, you will be allowed to work in the profession.

Adaptation period or knowledge test

If your professional qualification is not equivalent, you can choose between a knowledge test and a maximum three-year adaptation period. The knowledge test tests your knowledge in certain subjects and areas. These subjects and the exact procedure of the exam are regulated by law. The knowledge test is a practical exam with an exam interview. If you complete the adaptation period or pass the knowledge test (and meet all other requirements), you will be granted permission to use the professional title of "veterinary technical assistant" or "veterinary technical assistant".

Who should I contact?

Lower Saxony State Office for Consumer Protection and Food Safety (LAVES)


• You have a professional qualification as a veterinary-technical assistant from a third country.

• They are suitable for health. (This means that you can work mentally and physically as a veterinary-technical assistant.)

• You are reliable to work as a veterinary technical assistant and have no criminal record.

• You have the necessary knowledge of German for the job. This is usually the language level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages

Which documents are required?

• Proof of identity (ID card or passport)

• German-language curriculum vitae in tabular form with your education and professional activities

• Officially certified copy of your training certificate

• Proof of your relevant professional experience as a veterinary-technical assistant

• Proof of further relevant knowledge for working as a veterinary technical assistant

• Extract from your criminal record or certificate of good conduct from your country of origin as proof of your reliability (This proof must be no more than 3 months old at the time of application).

• Medical certificate of your health (The proof can be from an authority from your country of training. This certificate must not be more than 3 months old at the time of application.)

• Certificate of registration or declaration that you want to work where you are applying

What are the fees?

Fee: 100,00 - 600,00 EUR
Payment in advance: No
The exact amount of the fee depends on the time spent.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

There are no deadlines.

Processing duration

Processing Time: 1 - 4 Months
After a maximum of one month, the competent authority will confirm that your documents have arrived. The competent authority will inform you if documents are missing. If the documents are complete, the procedure will take a maximum of 4 months.


You can take legal action against the decision of the competent authority. The decision will then be reviewed. Details can be found in the information on legal remedies at the end of your decision. We recommend that you first talk to the competent authority before taking legal action against the decision.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)