Applying for a residence permit for general school attendance
As a rule, you can only obtain a residence permit for general school attendance from the 9th grade. In exceptional cases, the residence permit may also be issued for attending a lower grade.
The residence permit for general school attendance is a temporary residence permit. It is granted for the duration of school attendance.
During the stay to attend school, a change of purpose of residence is usually only possible in cases of entitlement to another residence permit.
The residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:
- If you have not yet reached the age of 18, you may not submit the application yourself. The application must be made by the legal representatives (usually the parents with joint custody or one parent with sole custody) or other persons who look after you instead of the legal representatives in Germany.
- Depending on the immigration authority and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration authority offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. You must be accompanied during the appointment by at least one legal representative or other person who looks after you instead of the legal representative in Germany if you have not yet reached the age of 18.
During the appointment, your application will be received and your supporting documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eAT).
- In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you upon receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. You must be accompanied during the appointment by at least one legal representative or other person who looks after you instead of the legal representative in Germany if you have not yet reached the age of 18.
During the appointment, your documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence title (eAT).
If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT.
After about six to eight weeks, the eAT can be picked up at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
Fees apply for the issuance of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.
Who should I contact?
The foreigners' authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence
- You have a recognized and valid passport or passport substitute and, if required for entry - an appropriate visa.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- Attending school is the main purpose of your stay in Germany.
- Your stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- The school to be attended in Germany is a
- public or state-recognised school with an international focus, or
- a school that is not or not mainly financed by public funds and prepares pupils for international qualifications, qualifications from other countries or state-recognised qualifications
- In the school class, a composition of students of different nationalities is guaranteed.
The derogations are possible due to agreements between the Länder and public authorities in other countries on the attendance of domestic schools by foreign pupils.
- If you have not reached the age of 18: the persons entitled to custody have agreed to your stay in Germany.
- Their livelihood is secured for the entire duration of their school attendance in Germany.
Which documents are required?
- Valid passport
- Current biometric photo
- Visa, if required
- Proof of subsistence (e.g., blocked account at a bank, declaration by parents to secure their livelihood for the duration of school attendance, including proof of income, submission of a declaration of commitment by third parties)
- Proof of health insurance
- Proof of school attendance in Germany (e.g. by presenting a certificate from the school to be attended)
- If you have not yet reached the age of 18: the consent of the person(s) entitled to personal custody for the planned stay in Germany.
What are the fees?
Issue of residence permit: EUR 100.00
Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or exemption may be considered.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
- The residence permit should be applied for at least eight weeks before the expiry of your valid visa.
- The residence permit is issued for a limited period. The validity depends on the duration of school attendance.
About six to eight weeks.
§ 16f Abs. 2 AufenthG
Applications / forms
- Forms: Forms can be obtained from your immigration office, if necessary they are also offered online
- Online procedures possible in some cases
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes
- An action may be brought before the competent administrative court against a negative decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- A pre-litigation procedure (opposition) does not take place in Lower Saxony.
- Detailed information can be found in the negative decision.
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.