Applying for a renewal of a Mobile ICT Card
You can renew a Mobile ICT Card if you want to continue working as a manager, specialist or trainee in a German branch of your company.
In principle, the same requirements must be met for the renewal as for the first issuance of the Mobile ICT Card, in particular that you can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage without using public services.
The Mobile ICT Card is generally issued for the duration of the intra-company transfer. However, the total stay in Germany may not exceed three years for managers and specialists and one year for trainees. At the same time, the planned stay in Germany must not be longer than the stay in the EU member state that issued you the residence permit for the purpose of intra-company transfer.
As a rule, the Federal Employment Agency must agree to the further exercise of employment. Consent is obtained by the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- Find out whether your Foreigners' Registration Office allows you to apply online or has a special application form.
- If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of an online application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your application to make an appointment.
- During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents, if possible in the original, with you to the appointment).
- If your application is granted, your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the Mobile ICT Card (issued in the form of a new electronic residence permit, or eAT card for short). The Foreigners' Registration Office commissions the production of the Mobile ICT Card from Bundesdruckerei. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the card from the responsible office. The collection must always be done in person.
- If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice.
Who should I contact?
The immigration authority responsible for the place of residence of the applicant is responsible for processing the application.
In principle, you must meet the same requirements for the renewal of your Mobile ICT Card as you did when you first issued it, i.e.:
- You have a recognised and valid identity document (e.g. passport or passport substitute).
- You hold a residence permit from another Member State valid for the entire duration of the procedure for the purpose of intra-company transfer.
- Your company or Your group of companies has its headquarters outside Germany and would like to continue to employ you as a manager, specialist or trainee in a branch in Germany.
- The transfer takes longer than 90 days in total, but shorter than your stay in another EU member state.
- You must present an employment contract valid for the duration of the transfer and, if necessary, a letter of secondment.
- The Federal Employment Agency has agreed to the exercise of the employment (the consent is obtained by the Foreigners' Registration Office) or there is an exemption from the consent requirement for the desired activity.
- You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your income without using public services.
- The conditions under which you will work in the future are comparable to those of German employees.
- Their wages correspond to the wages of German employees.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- Their stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
Which documents are required?
In principle, the renewal of your Mobile ICT Card requires the submission of the same documents as when it was first issued:
- Recognized and valid identity document (e.g. passport or passport substitute)
- Up-to-date biometric photo in the passport (45 x 35 mm)
- Residence permit issued by another Member State for intra-company transfers (recognisable by the abbreviation "ICT")
- Proof of qualifications (e.g. university certificate, certificate of completed vocational training) and your professional experience (e.g. job references)
- Employment contract or letter of secondment from the employer, if necessary
- Form "Declaration of Employment" (to be completed in full by the employer)
- Proof of livelihood security (e.g. equity, blocked account, declaration of commitment)
- Proof of health insurance coverage
- Current registration certificate
The documents and information must always be submitted in German.
In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may require less or more evidence.
What are the fees?
Fee: 70 Euro
Additional fees may apply for the issuance of the Mobile ICT Card in the form of an electronic residence permit.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Period of Validity: 1 - 3 YearsThe application should be received by the Foreigners' Registration Office at least 8 a.m. before the expiry of your current Mobile ICT card. The Mobile ICT Card is issued for the duration of the intra-company transfer. However, the stay may not exceed three years for managers and specialists and one year for trainees. The extension is excluded if the maximum duration of the transfer has been reached. The Mobile ICT Card can be reapplied for if there is a period of at least six months between the end of the transfer and the new application. Objection period: 1 month
Duration: approx. 8 weeks
Note for further information on processing time:
It takes about 4 to 6 weeks for Bundesdruckerei to produce the electronic residence permit.
Applications / forms
Forms available: Yes
Written form required: Yes
Informal application possible: No
Personal appearance required: Yes
- An action against a negative decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office can be brought before the competent administrative court.
- A preliminary procedure (opposition) does not take place in Lower Saxony.
- Detailed information can be found in the negative decision.
What else should I know?
- The MobilerICT card will not be issued if the foreign person will stay longer in Germany than in other EU member states as part of the intra-company transfer.
- The ICT card is issued in all EU member states except Denmark, Great Britain and Ireland. It is therefore not possible to enter these countries with an ICT card
Application instructions of the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community (BMI) on the law and ordinance on the implementation of residence directives of the European Union on labour migration (as of 14.07.2017):
Directive 2014/66/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 15 May 2014 on the conditions of entry and residence of third-country nationals in the framework of an intra-corporate transfer (ICT Directive):
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.