Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Applying for an extension of the residence permit to participate in the European Voluntary Service

As a participant in the European Voluntary Service, you have been granted a residence permit. If the host institution agrees with you in writing to extend the service, your residence permit may also be extended.

The prerequisite is that the maximum duration of the residence permit of one year has not yet been exhausted.

If you have not yet reached the age of 18, you will also need the consent of your legal guardian for the extension.

In addition to participating in voluntary service, it is not permitted to engage in additional employment

Process flow

  • Find out whether your Foreigners' Registration Office allows you to apply online or whether you have a special application form.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In the case of an online application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receiving your application to make an appointment.
  • During the appointment, your identity and documents will be checked (please bring your documents, preferably in the original, to the appointment).
  • If your application is granted, your fingerprints will be taken for the production of a new electronic residence permit (eAT card). The Foreigners' Registration Office commissions the production of the eAT card from the Federal Printing Office. After completion, you will receive information and can pick up the residence permit at the responsible office. The eAT card must always be picked up in person.

If your application is rejected, you will receive a rejection notice


  • You have a recognised and valid identity document (e.g. passport or passport substitute)
  • They are already doing a European Voluntary Service, the originally agreed duration of which was less than one year.
  • You have agreed with the host institution to extend your service for a total duration of up to one year.
  • There is no statutory ground for refusal (for example, you should not be one of the beneficiaries of international protection in Germany, who have applied for international protection, whose removal is temporarily suspended or who has been granted temporary protection; nor should the institution receiving you have been established solely for the purpose of facilitating the entry and residence of foreigners).
  • You have sufficient health insurance coverage.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.

Your stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.

Which documents are required?

  • Recognised and valid identity document (e.g. passport or passport substitute)
  • Initial agreement with the host organisation for the implementation of the European Voluntary Service (with job description, details of the duration of the voluntary service, working hours, working conditions, supervision, remuneration and any training that may be included) and written agreement on the extension of the service
  • Proof of health insurance coverage
  • Before the age of 18: consent of the legal guardians

In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may request further documents.

What are the fees?


  • 96,00 for a further stay of up to three months
  • 93.00 for a further stay of more than three months


Additional fees may apply for the issuance of the residence permit in the form of the electronic residence permit, which can also be used as an electronic proof of identity.

Section 45 No. 2 of the Residence Ordinance - Fees for the Residence Permit, the EU Blue Card, the ICT Card and the Mobile ICT Card

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

The extension of the residence permit should be applied for no later than six to eight weeks before the expiry of the original residence permit.

The residence permit is issued for a maximum of one year. An extension is only possible if this period has not yet been exhausted.

Deadline for filing an action: 1 month

Processing duration

The time it takes to process the application depends on the local conditions as well as on the factual accuracy of the information in the application and the completeness of the application documents.

Applications / forms

Forms available: No

Written form required: Yes

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance required: Yes


  • Appeal against the decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office
  • Bringing an action before the court specified in the notice of objection if the objection is not complied with

What else should I know?

It is not possible to extend the residence permit beyond a total period of one year.


Ministry of the Interior and Local Government of the State of Brandenburg, Department 21

The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)