Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Request self-disclosure of personal information in the Visa Alert File

The Visa Warning File (VWD) is intended to prevent the misuse of visas when entering Germany. In particular, it supports the authorities responsible for issuing visas. These include the German missions abroad.

If you would like to know whether and what information the visa warning file stores about you, the Federal Office of Administration (BVA) will provide you with information. To do this, you need to submit an application.

The Visa Alert File stores information about individuals (and organizations) when you

  • have been convicted of a specific offence.
    • Relevant offences include trafficking in human beings, forced prostitution, narcotics offences and undeclared work.
  • have submitted, procured or produced fraudulent or falsified documents as an applicant for a visa or have obtained authentic documents through false information.
  • act as an inviter, commitor or reference person in the visa procedure, and in doing so,
    • have provided false information, or
    • have not fulfilled their obligations at the time of use, or
  • have voluntarily allowed your data to be stored if, for example, there is a suspicion that declarations have been made under your name in visa procedures without permission.

The data that the Visa Alert File stores on individuals includes:

  • Particulars:
    • Surname, first name
    • Differing spellings of names
    • Other names and former names
    • Sex
    • Date of birth
    • Place of birth
    • Nationality
  • the reason for the storage
  • the visa warning file number of the Federal Office of Administration

The application data will be stored for up to 10 years, depending on the decision (positive, negative).

Process flow

You can apply online, in person, or by mail.
Online application:

  • Log in to the federal portal with your online ID function.
  • Fill out the online application and submit the data.
  • You will then receive the requested information in writing by post.

Personal application:

  • Download the application form from the website of the Federal Office of Administration (BVA) and fill it out.
  • Make an appointment at your local BVA location.
    • Use the telephone hotline or the e-mail address of the visa warning file (BVA, Unit S I 4).
    • An overview of the locations can be found on the BVA website.
  • You will then receive the requested information in writing by post.

Application by post:

  • Download the application form from the BVA website.
  • Send the completed application form together with the required documents to the BVA address given in the application form.
  • You will then receive the requested information in writing by post.

If your personal data as well as the proof of identity or proof of the organization are available, you can also submit the application informally:

  • Write an informal letter and send it to the BVA. An overview of the locations can be found on the BVA website.


There are no requirements for applying.

Which documents are required?

For online applications:

Proof of identity:

  • Online ID function
    • of the identity card
    • of the electronic residence permit
    • the electronic residence card
    • the electronic permanent residence card, or
    • of the eID card

In case of personal application:

Proof of identity by:

  • Identity card
  • Passport
  • temporary identity card
  • temporary passport
  • Travel Document
  • Passport replacement document

If you apply by post:

Proof of identity:

  • in Germany:
    • by official certification of the signature on the application
    • As a rule, the local town hall or citizens' office can certify the signature. Please inquire about local responsibilities and fees.
  • abroad:
    • by certification of the signature on the application by the diplomatic mission abroad, or
    • by certification of the signature on the application by an authority of the home Member State empowered to certify it, or
    • by a separate letter from a notary's office certifying the signature with German translation by a sworn translator.
  • in the case of information to a representative (authorised representative):
    • Power of attorney with certification of the signature
    • Certification is not necessary if the authorised representative is a lawyer admitted to practice before a German court.

You can find out what other documents are required in your case on the application form.

What are the fees?

You will not incur any costs as a result of the application.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

You don't have to meet any deadlines.

Applications / forms

Forms available: Yes
Written form required: Yes
Informal application possible: Yes
Personal appearance required: No
Online services available: Yes





• Administrative court action

• Detailed information on how to file an objection can be found in the notification of your application.

What else should I know?

There are no clues or peculiarities.

Technically approved by

Federal Ministry of the Interior and Community (BMI)

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)