Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Applying for a subsidy for measures to improve the living environment in long-term care insurance

If you are in need of care, your nursing care fund pays a subsidy under certain conditions for renovation measures that make your home suitable for care. These include, for example, the installation of a stair lift, widened doors and thresholds instead of steps. The measures are intended to enable an independent life in one's own home or to facilitate everyday care or to restore independent living.

Upon request, your nursing care fund will pay a subsidy of up to EUR 4,000 for such adjustments and conversions. The subsidy is limited to the actual costs of the conversion measure. If the conversion costs more than EUR 4,000, you pay the excess amount yourself.

If you live together with other people in need of care, for example in a nursing home community, you can use the subsidy to improve the shared living environment. In total, a shared apartment or residential group can receive up to EUR 16,000 grant.

The conversion measures subsidised by long-term care insurance funds include, for example:

  • Adaptation of the living environment to your needs: window handles at wheelchair accessible height, stair lift, elevator
  • Adjustments to the building fabric: widened doors, walk-in shower, fixed ramps
  • Technical aids: height-adapted kitchen appliances, lowerable wall cabinets
  • Improvement of the living environment: move to a handicapped accessible apartment, move from the upper to the ground floor

In principle, you can receive the subsidy once for a construction project. A new subsidy is possible if your care situation changes in such a way that further measures are necessary.

In old people's homes and nursing homes as well as residential facilities that are rented commercially by the landlord or the landlord only to persons in need of care, however, the requirements are not met. You will not receive a subsidy here.

Process flow

In order to receive a subsidy for measures to improve the living environment, you must submit an application to your responsible nursing care fund. This is affiliated to your statutory health insurance, you can use the same contact details.

  • It is helpful if you seek care advice before applying. This also supports you in the application.
  • Check with your care insurance company about the exact procedure and whether there is an application form.
  • You can apply for a subsidy for measures to improve the living environment, for example, by post and – in the case of many care insurance funds – hand it in personally at the office or submit it online.
  • The nursing care fund examines the application. It may only assume costs that are necessary and economical.
  • Wait for the notification of the care insurance before you start with the adjustment or conversion measure. You must clarify any tenancy law issues on your own responsibility and, if necessary, obtain the consent of the landlord.
  • When the measure has been completed and the costs incurred can be documented, for example by a craftsman's invoice, the nursing care fund will transfer the subsidy to you.


  • You have long-term care insurance
  • You have a degree of care
  • the conversion measure
    • enables home care,
    • makes it easier for you and your caregiver to care at home or
    • enables you to lead as independent a life as possible again
  • the conversion measure does not exceed the extent necessary

Which documents are required?

  • Cost estimate of the craft business that is to carry out the conversion

Depending on the individual case, further documents may be required. Please contact your nursing care insurance fund for more information.

What are the fees?

You do not have to pay anything for the application.

If necessary, fees may be incurred by experts for the preparation of an expert opinion on possible structural measures, for example with regard to statics or cost estimates.

If the conversion costs exceed EUR 4,000, you must pay the excess amount.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Please submit the application for a subsidy for measures to improve the living environment to your nursing care fund before the start of the conversion measure.
If the nursing care fund cannot decide on the application within 3 weeks or, if the medical service is involved, within 5 weeks, it must inform the applicant of this in good time, stating the reasons. If there is no notification of a sufficient reason, the service shall be deemed to have been approved after expiry of the deadline.

Processing duration

Processing usually takes about 2 to 8 business days.
For a quick processing and decision, your nursing care fund must have the necessary information and, if necessary, necessary documents complete and meaningful.
The nursing care fund decides on applications promptly.
Please note that the stated processing time is an average value of all care insurance funds. It may vary in individual cases.
The exact processing time also depends on the complexity of the individual case and can be extended accordingly. The same applies if documents or documents are sent by post to you or your nursing care fund.
If necessary, the Medical Service must be involved. This takes up to 5 weeks to process your request.

Applications / forms

Forms: yes

Online procedure possible: Many care insurance companies offer an online procedure.

Written form required: yes

Personal appearance required: no

Application for a subsidy for measures to improve the living environment via the cash register navigator of the GKV-Spitzenverband


  • Contradiction
  • Action before the Social Court

What else should I know?

Evaluation is the responsibility of the service providers.

Technically approved by

Federal Ministry of Health

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)