Apply for a subsidy for measures to improve the living environment in long-term care insurance
If you are in need of care, your long-term care insurance fund will pay a subsidy for renovation measures that make your home suitable for care under certain conditions. These include, for example, the installation of a stairlift, widened doors and thresholds instead of steps. The measures are intended to enable independent living in one's own home or to facilitate everyday care or to restore independent living.
Upon request, your long-term care insurance fund will pay a subsidy of up to EUR 4,000 for such adaptations and conversions. The subsidy is limited to the actual costs of the conversion measure. If the conversion costs more than EUR 4,000, you will pay the excess amount yourself.
If you live with other people in need of care, for example in a residential care community, you can use the subsidy to improve the living environment together. In total, a shared apartment or group home can receive a subsidy of up to EUR 16,000.
The renovation measures that are subsidized by long-term care insurance funds include, for example:
- Adaptation of the living environment to your needs: window handles at wheelchair accessible height, stair lift, elevator
- Modifications to the building fabric: widened doors, floor-level shower, fixed ramps
- Technical aids: height-adapted kitchen appliances, lowerable wall cabinets
- Improvement of the living environment: Move to a disabled-friendly apartment, move from the upper floor to the ground floor
In principle, you can receive the subsidy once for a construction project. A new subsidy is possible if your care situation changes in such a way that further measures are necessary.
On the other hand, the requirements are not met in retirement and nursing homes as well as residential facilities that are only rented out by the landlord to people in need of care on a commercial basis. You will not receive a subsidy here.
In order to receive a subsidy for measures to improve the living environment, you must submit an application to your responsible nursing care fund. This is affiliated with your statutory health insurance company, you can use the same contact details.
- It is helpful if you seek care advice before applying. They will also support you in the application process.
- Check with your long-term care insurance company about the exact procedure and whether there is an application form.
- You can apply for a subsidy for measures to improve the living environment, for example, by post or – in the case of many long-term care insurance funds – hand it in in person at the office or submit it online.
- The long-term care insurance fund will review the application. It may only cover costs that are necessary and economical.
- Wait for the decision of the long-term care insurance company before you start with the adaptation or conversion measure. You must clarify any questions regarding tenancy law on your own responsibility and, if necessary, obtain the consent of the landlord.
- When the measure has been completed and the costs incurred can be proven, for example by means of a craftsman's invoice, the nursing care fund will transfer the subsidy to you.
- You have long-term care insurance
- You have a level of care
- the renovation measure
- enables home care,
- makes it easier for you and your caregiver to provide care at home, or
- enables you to lead as independent a life as possible again
- the conversion measure does not exceed the extent of what is necessary
Which documents are required?
- Cost estimate from the craftsman who is to carry out the renovation
Depending on the individual case, further documents may be required. Please contact your long-term care insurance company for more information.
What are the fees?
You don't have to pay anything for the application.
Fees may be incurred by experts or experts for the preparation of an expert opinion on possible structural measures, for example with regard to statics or cost estimates.
If the conversion costs exceed EUR 4,000, you will have to pay the amount above that.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Please submit the application for a subsidy for measures to improve the living environment to your long-term care insurance fund before the start of the renovation measure.
If the long-term care insurance fund is unable to make a decision on the application within 3 weeks, or within 5 weeks if the medical service is involved, it must inform the applicant of this in good time, stating the reasons. If no sufficient reason is given, the service shall be deemed to have been approved after the expiry of the period
It usually takes about 2 to 8 business days to process.
In order to process and make a decision quickly, your long-term care insurance fund must have the necessary information and, if necessary, documents complete and meaningful.
The long-term care insurance fund decides on applications in a timely manner.
Please note that the stated processing time is an average value for all long-term care insurance funds. It may vary in individual cases.
The exact processing time also depends on the complexity of the individual case and can be extended accordingly. The same applies if documents or records are sent by post to you or your long-term care insurance fund.
If necessary, the medical service must be involved. This will take up to an additional 5 weeks to process your request.
Applications / forms
Online procedure possible: Many long-term care insurance companies offer an online procedure.
Written form required: yes
Personal appearance required: no
- Appeal to the Social Court
What else should I know?
Evaluation is the responsibility of the service providers.
Technically approved by
Federal Ministry of Health
Professionally released on
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.