Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Applying for transitional allowance for people with disabilities

They usually receive transitional allowance as a subsistence benefit in connection with a special benefit for participation in working life, for example for participation in a further training measure in a vocational rehabilitation institution.

As a rule, your previous gross salary is the basis for the calculation.

The amount of your transitional allowance also depends on your personal situation, such as:

  • whether you have a child or a stepchild taken into your household, or
  • whether your spouse/partner living in the same household as you is unable to work because he or she cares for you or needs care for you.

Even in the case of a part-time measure, you will receive the transitional allowance in full.

You can receive the transitional allowance for the entire duration of your measure.

If you can no longer participate in the measure for health reasons alone, but are expected to participate again, the transitional allowance will continue to be paid for up to 6 weeks, but at the latest until the scheduled end of the measure.

For absences for reasons other than health, you are only entitled to transitional allowance if the Employment Agency recognises an important reason for interrupting your participation. Important reasons include, for example:

  • Marriage
  • Birth of a child
  • Change of residence
  • Attendance of a court hearing.

The transitional allowance is paid monthly in arrears as a subsidy.

Process flow

If you wish to apply for the transitional allowance in connection with a vocational integration measure, follow these steps:

  • Make an appointment with your employment agency.
  • In a personal interview, you will discuss the possibilities for your professional integration with your advisor. Your advisor will check your requirements together with you and determine the necessary measures and benefits.
  • Your advisor will also discuss with you the forms and supporting documents that you need to complete and submit. You can also fill out the documents online and upload the required supporting documents.
  • You will then receive a notification.

Who should I contact?

You can find the department of the Federal Employment Agency responsible for you via the service finder.

Contact form on the website of the Federal Employment Agency 

Service telephone for the hearing impaired via the website of the Federal Employment Agency (free of charge)

Competent authority

You can find the department of the Federal Employment Agency responsible for you via the service finder.


As a rule, you are entitled to a transitional allowance if the following conditions apply to you:

  • They have a disability and therefore need special support in integrating into working life. The Federal Employment Agency is your responsible rehabilitation provider.
  • You will participate in one of the following actions:
    • Vocational training
    • vocational preparation, including the necessary basic training,
    • individual in-company training within the framework of "supported employment",
    • measure in the entry procedure or vocational training area of a workshop for disabled people or at another service provider, or
    • continuing vocational training.
  • For the period of the last 3 years (pre-employment period), one of the following conditions applies to you:
    • They were covered by social security for at least 12 months.
    • You are entitled to unemployment benefit under SGB III and are currently applying for it.
    • You are entitled to unemployment benefit under the Soldiers' Benefits Act (Soldatenversorgungsgesetz, SVG).

There are the following exceptions:

  • If you are a returnee with disabilities, you will not have to limit the previous employment period to 3 years.
  • The conditions of the pre-employment period may be waived altogether if you
    • have obtained a qualification from a vocational school or other vocational training institution and this training corresponds to vocational training in a recognised training occupation, or
    • have obtained a certificate which has been assimilated to the certificate of completion of vocational training in a recognised occupation.

Which documents are required?

When contacting your advisor, please ask which documents you need in addition to the questionnaire for transitional allowance and participation costs.

What are the fees?


Applications / forms

Forms available: No
Written form required: Yes
Informal application possible: No
Personal appearance required: No
Online services available: Yes


Objection to the Employment Agency that issued the decision. Further information on how to file an objection can be found in the respective notification.

Technically approved by

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)