Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Applying for a transitional allowance for people with disabilities

They receive transitional allowance as a subsistence benefit, usually in connection with a special benefit for participation in working life, for example for participation in further training in a vocational rehabilitation facility.

As a rule, your previous gross salary is the basis for the calculation.

The amount of your transitional allowance also depends on your personal situation, for example:

  • whether you have a child or a stepchild who has been taken into your household, or
  • whether your spouse/partner living in the same household as you is unable to work because he or she cares for you or needs care for you himself.

Even if you work part-time, you will receive the full amount of the transitional allowance.

You can receive the transitional allowance for the entire duration of your measure.

If you are no longer able to participate in the measure solely for health reasons, but are expected to be able to participate again, the transitional allowance will continue to be paid for up to 6 weeks, but no later than until the scheduled end of the measure.

For absences for reasons other than health, you are only entitled to transitional allowance if the Employment Agency recognises an important reason for the interruption of participation. Important reasons include, for example:

  • Marriage
  • Birth of a child
  • Change of residence
  • Attending a court hearing.

The transitional allowance is paid monthly in arrears as a subsidy.

Process flow

If you wish to apply for the transitional allowance in connection with a vocational integration measure, follow these steps:

  • Make an appointment for a consultation with your employment agency.
  • In a personal meeting, you will discuss the possibilities for your professional integration with your counsellor. Your advisor will work with you to check your requirements and determine the necessary measures and services.
  • Your advisor will also discuss with you the forms and supporting documents that you need to fill out and submit. You can also fill out the paperwork online and upload the required supporting documents.
  • You will then receive a notification.

Who should I contact?

Competent authority

You can find the office of the Federal Employment Agency responsible for you via the service finder.


As a rule, you are entitled to transitional allowance if the following conditions apply to you:

  • You have a disability and therefore need special support for your integration into working life. The Federal Employment Agency is your responsible rehabilitation provider.
  • You will participate in one of the following activities:
    • Vocational training
    • vocational preparation, including the required basic training,
    • individual in-company training within the framework of "Supported Employment",
    • action in the entry procedure or vocational training area of a workshop for disabled people or with another service provider, or
    • professional development.
  • For the period of the last 3 years (previous employment period), one of the following requirements applies to you:
    • They were covered by social security for at least 12 months.
    • You are entitled to unemployment benefit according to SGB III and are currently applying for it.
    • They are entitled to unemployment benefits under the Soldiers' Pensions Act (SVG).

There are the following exceptions:

  • If you are a returnee with disabilities, you do not have to limit the previous employment period to 3 years.
  • The conditions of the previous employment period may be waived altogether if you have been employed within the last year before the start of the measure.
    • have obtained a training qualification at a vocational school or other vocational training institution and this training corresponds to vocational training in a recognised training occupation, or
    • have obtained an examination certificate which has been treated as equivalent to a certificate of completion of vocational training in a recognised training occupation.

Which documents are required?

When you contact your advisor, please ask which documents you need in addition to the questionnaire for transitional allowance and participation costs.

What are the fees?


Applications / forms

Forms available: No
Written form required: Yes
Informal application possible: No
Personal appearance required: No
Online services available: Yes


Appeal to the Employment Agency, which issued the decision. Further information on how to file an objection can be found in the respective notice.

Technically approved by

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)