Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Report changes in the professional situation to the Artists' Social Security Fund

As a person who is self-employed as an artist or journalist, you are generally subject to compulsory insurance in the statutory pension, health and long-term care insurance via the artists' social insurance.

However, only if there are no certain exceptions or if you are primarily insured elsewhere. If there is a fundamental change in your professional situation, you must inform the Künstlersozialkasse (KSK) immediately.

Examples of professional circumstances that may have an impact on your existing insurance obligation with the KSK:

  • Paid employment
  • Unemployment benefits
  • other self-employed activities or business income
  • Shareholdings in companies
  • Activities in agriculture
  • Commencement of studies
  • Federal Voluntary Service/Military Service

In addition, there are other professional circumstances that affect the insurance relationship in the artists' social insurance.

For detailed advice, please contact the KSK directly.

Process flow

You can report a change in your professional framework in writing.

  • First of all, check whether there is a notification form for your change on the website of the Künstlersozialkasse.
  • If there is a notification form, fill it out as a PDF and print it out.
  • If there is no notification form, please notify us of the change informally.
  • If applicable, attach copies of evidence of the change to your notification.
  • Send everything together to the KSK.
  • Answer any queries as soon as possible.
  • Depending on the nature of the change, you may receive written confirmation of the change.


  • In principle, they must be subject to compulsory insurance or subsidies in the artists' social insurance.
  • In addition, for example, you have
    • commences, terminates or extends paid employment,
    • receive an authorisation, extension, cancellation or termination of unemployment benefit or unemployment benefit II,
    • commences or terminates another self-employed activity above the marginal earnings threshold,
    • commences or terminates an activity as a farmer or craftsman,
    • enrolls or exmatriculates as a student,
    • commences or terminates an activity as a civil servant,
    • has served a prison sentence,
    • commences or terminates an activity within the framework of the Federal Voluntary Service/Military Service.

Which documents are required?

  • depending on the type of change
  • please note the information on the respective notification form

What are the fees?

There are no costs for you.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Please inform us immediately of any change in your professional situation.

Processing duration

Depending on the workload, usually 4 weeks.


  • Contradiction. If there is a change with legal implications, you can find detailed information on how to file an objection in the decision.

Technically approved by

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)