Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Receive compensation and suspend contributions to the artists' social security fund

Are you self-employed as an artist or journalist and are subject to statutory health and long-term care insurance through the artists' social security fund? In this case, you are entitled to compensation under certain conditions.

The responsible service provider checks the requirements for:

  • Sick pay
  • Sickness benefit in the event of illness of a child
  • Maternity benefit
  • Injury benefit
  • Transitional allowance or other compensation benefits

Depending on the type of service, this can be:

  • the statutory health insurance fund,
  • an accident insurance institution, or
  • a statutory pension insurance institution

If you are entitled to an income replacement benefit, you do not have to pay social security contributions via the artists' social security fund. In order for the artists' social security fund to be able to determine the so-called exemption from contributions, you must declare the receipt of benefits. In addition, it is best to provide evidence to avoid additional correspondence.

The exemption from contributions lasts as long as you receive the compensation benefit.

Process flow

If you are unable to work due to illness, your child's illness or pregnancy:

  • Contact your doctor and have your inability to work, your child's illness or pregnancy certified.
  • If this certificate is not transmitted electronically from the doctor's office to your responsible health insurance company, please submit it there.
  • Please answer any questions from your health insurance company immediately.
  • If you receive a compensation payment, please have the start and, if applicable, the already known end of the benefit confirmed in writing.

You can then notify the artists' social security fund of your receipt of the compensation benefit online or by post.

Online Communication:

  • Access the online form on the Federal Portal This will guide you step by step through the necessary information, which you can enter electronically.
  • Note: For the online form, you need a valid ELSTER certificate to register. Alternatively, you can use your electronic identity document.
  • It will take you about 10 minutes to complete the online application.
  • First, fill in your personal details, including your policy number. These can be found on the letters from the artists' social security fund at the top right.
  • On the next page, select the compensation you are receiving.
  • With the selection, you will receive general information about the respective benefit receipt.
  • You can then enter the data of your benefit receipt and, if available, upload proof.
  • When receiving maternity benefit, there are also a few questions about your future employment.

Notification by mail:

  • If you receive sickness benefit, fill out the PDF form "Notification due to illness/incapacity for work with receipt of sickness benefit" on the website of the Artists' Social Insurance Fund.
  • If you receive maternity benefit, fill out the PDF form "Notification of receipt of maternity benefit" on the website of the Artists' Social Insurance Fund.
  • Please also include your insurance number. These can be found on the letters from the artists' social security fund at the top right.
  • Print out the completed PDF, sign it and send your notification of change to the Artists' Social Security Fund.
  • If you are in receipt of sickness benefit in the event of illness of a child, injury benefit or transitional allowance, please inform us of the details of your receipt of the benefit in a brief, informal manner, stating your insurance number.
  • Attach proof of receipt of benefits to your notification, if you have one.

You will receive written confirmation of the established exemption from contributions.


  • The entitlement to compensation must have been established by the competent service provider.
  • The start and, if applicable, the end of the grant of benefits must be known.

Which documents are required?

  • Notification of receipt of compensation benefits
    • if you receive sickness benefit: notification of receipt of sickness benefit
    • if you receive maternity benefit: notification of receipt of maternity benefit
  • Proof of receipt of the compensation benefit, for example:
    • a copy of the notification of approval, or
    • another letter from the responsible service provider.

What are the fees?

There are no costs.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Please inform us immediately of the receipt of a compensation benefit.


There is no legal remedy.

Technically approved by

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)