Applying for individual funding for participation in working life
In individual cases, you can apply for supplementary support benefits if this is necessary for taking up an apprenticeship or job due to the nature or severity of your disability. Individual case funding is, for example:
- Motor vehicle assistance
- Work Assistant
- Technical work aids
- Loss of earnings
- Housing assistance
If the Employment Agency is your responsible rehabilitation provider and you meet the requirements for funding, it will cover the costs.
Information on the respective individual case funding:
Motor vehicle assistance
There are different benefits that you can apply for:
- Subsidy for the purchase of a motor vehicle
- Assumption of the costs for disability-related additional equipment and repairs of additional equipment
- Cost subsidy for obtaining a driving licence
- Benefits in cases of hardship, such as a contribution to transport costs incurred by transport services, for example
The subsidies for the purchase of a motor vehicle and for the driver's license depend on the amount of your income. The costs for additional equipment required due to disability are borne in full by the Employment Agency.
When buying a motor vehicle, you will receive a maximum of EUR 22,000 of the purchase price. An exception exists if you absolutely need a motor vehicle with a higher purchase price due to the nature and severity of the disability.
Alternatively, you can also receive subsidies for transport costs as part of the hardship regulation. As a rule, there is a co-payment.
In principle, you can participate in working life, but need support in the exercise of your employment due to your disability? Then the work assistance will help you to fulfill your professional duties.
The work assistance goes beyond occasional handouts. It is a regularly recurring support for severely disabled people in terms of time and activity. You have to do the actual work yourself. This does not cover short-term and irregular assistance.
The aim of the benefit is to give you a job subject to social security contributions. The costs of the work assistance are borne by the responsible rehabilitation provider for a period of up to 3 years. You also have this overall entitlement in the event of changing jobs. If you continue to need work assistance after the maximum funding period has expired, the Integration Office is responsible for accompanying assistance in working life.
However, in order to simplify the administrative process, the integration offices take over the execution of the service from the outset.
Technical work aids
Technical work aids are devices and devices that equip a workplace for the disabled. They are intended to compensate you for disadvantages due to disability.
Examples of technical work aids:
- Screen reader
- One-handed keyboard
- orthopedic office chair
Technical aids are tailored to your individual needs in the workplace. Since the sponsored items become your property, you can take them with you when changing jobs.
Support in the context of participation in working life concerns aids that are necessary due to the nature and severity of your disability
- for training or professional practice,
- to participate in a benefit for participation in working life, or
- to increase safety on the way to work or at work.
The aids include, for example, orthopaedic safety shoes or orthopaedic foot protection if they are required exclusively for activities in a specific profession or vocational training.
Loss of earnings
You or someone you need to accompany you must travel to an apprenticeship or to a new job. And this is only possible during normal working hours? Then you or your companion will be compensated for a possible loss of earnings.
Housing assistance benefits include financial assistance for:
- the cost of procurement,
- the equipment as well as
- the maintenance of a handicapped accessible apartment.
You should be able to reach the place of your vocational training or your workplace as barrier-free and independently as possible. The specific services depend on your personal situation and needs.
In order to receive individual funding, you must contact your employment agency:
- Make an appointment with the Vocational Rehabilitation and Participation team of your Employment Agency.
- If you do not yet have a personal contact person, make an appointment via the service hotline of the Federal Employment Agency.
- In a personal conversation, you will clarify together whether individual case funding is suitable for you.
- If your counsellor determines that the support helps you to participate in working life, this person will discuss the next steps with you.
- Your advisor will also discuss with you the forms you need to fill out. You can also fill in the documents online.
In order for you to be eligible for individual support for professional participation, the following general requirements must be met:
- You have a disability and the Federal Employment Agency is your responsible rehabilitation provider.
- Your prospects of participating or returning to work are not only temporarily reduced because of the nature or severity of your disability.
- Or: You are threatened with a disability with the same professional consequences.
- You must contact your employment agency for reimbursement or grants before any expenses are incurred or incurred.
In addition, you may have to observe special requirements for the respective funding:
Motor vehicle assistance:
- You are dependent on a motor vehicle for the daily journey between home and place of work, training or educational institution because you cannot cover this distance on foot, by public transport or otherwise due to your disability.
- You must be severely disabled. This means you have a degree of disability of at least 50.
- The support is necessary to obtain a job or training place.
- The need for assistance by a personal assistant must go beyond occasional handouts.
- In addition, it must be a regularly recurring support in terms of time and activity.
Technical work aids:
- You need the technical work assistance because of the nature and severity of your disability for professional practice or training and
- the technical work aid serves exclusively for participation in working life.
- You need the tool to compensate for a disability for a specific job or for a special form of professional practice or training. You do not need it for other professional activities.
- Your employer or a medical rehabilitation provider are not primarily obliged to provide this benefit.
Loss of earnings:
- Your loss of earnings or the loss of earnings of a required accompanying person is unavoidable. The trip can therefore only take place during normal working hours.
- A promotion of housing assistance services presupposes that you have a job-related need.
Which documents are required?
Please ask your advisor which documents you need in detail.
What are the fees?
Processing usually takes several weeks.
Applications / forms
Forms available: No
Written form required: No
Informal application possible: No
Personal appearance required: Yes
Online services available: Yes
Objection to the Employment Agency that issued the decision. Further information on how to file an objection can be found in the respective notification.
Technically approved by
Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)
Professionally released on
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.