Applying for a residence permit for mobile researchers
You can obtain a residence permit for the purpose of research if you hold a residence permit from another EU Member State valid for the duration of the procedure for the purpose of research.
The residence permit for the purpose of research for mobile researchers is a temporary residence permit. It shall be granted for the duration of the research project, but for a maximum of one year.
The residence permit entitles the holder to take up research activities at the research institution specified in the hosting agreement and to take up teaching activities. Changes to the research project during the stay do not lead to the loss of this entitlement.
If the application for the issuance of the residence permit is submitted at least 30 days before the start of the stay in the Federal territory and the residence permit of the other Member State is still valid, residence and employment in the Federal territory are deemed to be permitted for up to 180 days within a period of 360 days from entry before a decision is taken on your application.
The residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:
- Depending on the immigration authority and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration authority offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be received and your supporting documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken to produce an electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you upon receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence title (eAT card).
- If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- The eAT card must always be picked up in person.
Fees apply for the issuance of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.
The application can also be submitted to the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees, which will forward your application to the responsible immigration authority.
Who should I contact?
The immigration authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence, or
Federal Office for Migration and Refugees
- You have a recognized and valid passport or passport substitute.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- You hold a residence permit issued by another EU Member State valid for the duration of the procedure for the purpose of research in accordance with Directive (EU) 2016/801.
- Your stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- You have concluded a hosting agreement or a corresponding contract for the implementation of a research project with a research institution in Germany.
- You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your income without using public benefits.
Which documents are required?
- Valid passport or passport substitute
- Current biometric photo
- Valid residence permit of the EU Member State for the purpose of research according to Directive 2016/801
- Hosting agreement or a corresponding contract with a research institution for the implementation of a research project
- Proof of subsistence
- Proof of your health insurance
What are the fees?
Issuance of residence permit for the purpose of research for mobile researchers: EUR 100
Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or exemption may be considered.
Fee: 100,00 EURPayment in advance: No
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
- Application for a residence permit for the purpose of research for mobile researchers at least eight weeks before the expiry of your valid residence permit.
If you are already a researcher in Germany as part of short-term mobility, the application must be submitted no later than 30 days before the end of your permitted stay in Germany.
about 6 to 8 weeks.
Applications / forms
- Forms specific to the immigration authority can be obtained from your immigration office, which may also be offered online.
- Online procedures possible in some cases
- Written form required: yes
- Personal attendance required: yes
- An action may be brought before the competent administrative court against a negative decision of the immigration authority.
- A preliminary procedure (opposition) does not take place in Lower Saxony.
Detailed information can be found in the rejection decision.
- You can also get free advice on the topics of entry, residence and work from the "Hotline Working and Living in Germany" from the portal of the Federal Government Phone: 030 1815-1111
Service hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Information on residence permits for the purpose of research for mobile researchers (german):
- Information on residence permits for the purpose of research:
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.