Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Applying for a residence permit for the purpose of employment for qualified tolerated persons

As a tolerated foreign person, you can obtain a residence permit for employment if you have completed qualified vocational training or university studies in Germany. A qualified vocational training exists if you have completed vocational training in a state-recognised or comparably regulated training occupation. The training period must have been at least two years.

If you obtained your university degree abroad, you can obtain a residence permit if your foreign degree has been legally recognised in Germany or is comparable to a German university degree. The Central Office for Foreign Education is responsible for the recognition of foreign university degrees in Germany (see "Further information"). In addition, it is necessary that you have pursued employment commensurate with your degree for two years without interruption with your foreign university degree. Employment is appropriate if it usually requires an academic degree and the knowledge acquired through higher education is needed, at least in part or indirectly. Shorter interruptions of employment, which should not normally exceed a total duration of three months, are harmless.

You can also obtain a residence permit if you have obtained your professional qualification abroad, have been in qualified employment for three years without interruption and have not relied on public funds (with the exception of benefits to cover the necessary costs of accommodation and heating) within the last year before applying for the residence permit for your subsistence and that of your family members or other household members. were instructed. Skilled employment exists if it is usually carried out by persons with skills, knowledge and abilities acquired through qualified vocational training or academic training. Shorter interruptions (up to three months) are generally harmless,

The residence permit is issued for a limited period. Holders of the "Ausbildungsduldung" are granted a residence permit for two years if they wish to take up employment that corresponds to the qualification acquired in vocational training.

Process flow

The procedure is as follows:

  • Depending on the immigration authority and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration authority offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be received and your supporting documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken to produce an electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you upon receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence title (eAT card).
  • If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
  • After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
  • The eAT card must always be picked up in person.

Who should I contact?

You can also get free advice on the topics of entry, residence and work from the "Hotline Working and Living in Germany" of the Federal Government's portal for skilled workers from abroad.

Phone: 030 1815-1111

Service hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.


  • You have a recognized and valid passport or passport substitute.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.
  • Your stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • You have in the Federal territory
    • have completed qualified vocational training in a state-recognised or comparably regulated training occupation or a university degree or
    • with a recognised foreign university degree or a foreign university degree comparable to a German university degree, has been employed for at least two consecutive years in a manner appropriate to his or her degree, or
    • have been in skilled employment for at least three years without interruption and have not been dependent on public funds within the last year, with the exception of benefits to cover the necessary costs of accommodation and heating.
  • You have sufficient knowledge of German (B1).
  • You can submit a specific job offer or a contract. The "Declaration on the Employment Relationship" serves as proof of the concrete job offer.
  • You have sufficient living space for you and your family.
  • The Federal Employment Agency has approved the exercise of employment.
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance cover from your own resources without recourse to public services.

Which documents are required?

  • Valid passport or passport substitute
  • Current biometric photo
  • Proof of completed training (e.g. university degree, certificates of completed vocational training)
  • For foreign university degrees: notification of recognition or comparability of the university degree, certificate evaluation of the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) if available
  • Employment contract or the declaration of employment completed and signed by the employer (see "Further information")
  • If applicable, proof of previous activities (e.g. employment references, employment contracts)
  • Proof of German language skills
  • Proof of securing one's livelihood (e.g. equity, blocked account, declaration of commitment)
  • Proof of your health insurance
  • Current registration certificate

In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may request further documents.

What are the fees?

Issue of residence permit: EUR 100.00

Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or exemption may be considered.


  • Additional fees may apply for the issuance of the residence permit in the form of an electronic residence title, which can also be used as an electronic proof of identity.
  • The timing and form of charging and payment vary depending on the authority.

Fee: 100,00 EUR
Payment in advance: No

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

  • The residence permit is issued for a limited period of time for the duration of employment. For holders of the Ausbildungsduldung, the residence permit is issued for two years.

Processing duration

about six to eight weeks.

Applications / forms

  • Online procedures possible in some cases
  • Written form required
  • Personal appearance required


  • An action may be brought before the competent administrative court against a negative decision of the immigration authority.
  • A preliminary procedure (opposition) does not take place in Lower Saxony.

Detailed information can be found in the rejection decision.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)