Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Residence permit for the purpose of training Issue for the continuation of studies started in another EU country

If you are recognised as a beneficiary of international protection in another EU member state and have been studying there for at least two years, you can obtain a residence permit to continue your studies in Germany.

The residence permit for continuing a course of study started in another EU country is a temporary residence permit. It is granted for the duration of the part of the study, which is carried out in Germany.

With your residence permit, you may in principle work for up to 120 days or 240 half days a year for the purpose of studying, as well as student secondary employment.

Process flow

The residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:

  • Depending on the immigration authority and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration authority offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be received and your supporting documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken to produce an electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you upon receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence title (eAT card).
  • If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
  • After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
  • The eAT card must always be picked up in person.
  • Fees apply for the issuance of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.

Who should I contact?

The foreigners' authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence


  • You have a recognized and valid passport or passport substitute.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.
  • Your stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • You have been recognised as a beneficiary of international protection in another EU Member State.
  • You have been studying in another EU Member State for at least two years.
  • You are admitted to a state-recognised university or educational institution in Germany.
  • You can prove that you are participating in a Union or multilateral programme with mobility measures (e.g. Erasmus) or that you are covered by an agreement between two or more universities.
  • Your livelihood is secured for the duration of your studies.

Which documents are required?

  • Valid passport
  • Current biometric photo
  • Current residence permit
  • Proof of subsistence (e.g. scholarship certificate, declaration of commitment, blocked account at a bank)
  • Lease
  • Proof of your health insurance
  • Proof of international protection status in another EU Member State
  • Proof of studying in another EU Member State and, if applicable, Proof of participation in a programme with mobility measures (e.g. Erasmus)
  • Letter of admission from the receiving educational institution in Germany

What are the fees?

Issue of residence permit: EUR 100.00

Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or exemption may be considered.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

Time limit for bringing an action: 1 month

Processing duration

about six to eight weeks

Legal basis

§ 16b Abs. 7 AufenthG

Residence Act

Applications / forms

  • Forms: Forms can be obtained from your immigration office, if necessary they are also offered online
  • Online procedures possible in some cases
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance required: yes


  • An action may be brought before the competent administrative court against a negative decision of the immigration authority.

A preliminary procedure (opposition) does not take place in Lower Saxony.

Detailed information can be found in the rejection decision

  • You can also get free advice on the topics of entry, residence and work from the "Hotline Working and Living in Germany" from the Federal Government's portal for skilled workers from abroad.
    Phone: 030 1815-1111
    Service hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)