Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Residence permit for the purpose of gainful employment Issued for the purpose of employment in the case of qualified employment as a skilled worker with vocational training

You can obtain a residence permit for skilled workers with vocational training if you have completed qualified vocational training in Germany. Qualified vocational training exists if you have completed vocational training in a state-recognised or comparably regulated training occupation. The duration of the training must have been at least two years. If you have completed your vocational training abroad, the equivalence of your qualification with the German qualified vocational training must be determined by the competent recognition authority (e.g. the Chamber of Industry or Commerce) become.

Before the residence permit is issued, the Federal Employment Agency must agree. This Federal Employment Agency checks whether the working conditions correspond to those of comparable German employees, whether you are in employment for which your qualifications qualify you and whether there is a domestic employment relationship.

If the residence permit is granted, it is limited in time. The validity depends on your employment contract or the period of validity of the approval of the Federal Employment Agency. In the case of permanent employment contracts, the residence permit for skilled workers is issued for a period of four years.

Process flow

The residence permit must be applied for at the immigration office responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:

  • Depending on the immigration office and the request, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your Foreigners' Registration Office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be received and your evidence will be checked (bring it with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
  • After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
  • The eAT card must always be picked up in person.
  • There are fees for the issuance of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.

Who should I contact?

The immigration authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence

Competent authority

The immigration authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence


  • You have a recognised and valid passport or passport substitute and - if required for entry - an appropriate visa.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.
  • Their stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • You own
  • domestic qualified vocational training, or
  • an equivalent foreign professional qualification
  • You have a qualification that qualifies you to pursue qualified employment. This means that, in principle, you can also work in a related profession if there is a connection between the training and the intended activity (e.g. a baker can also work as a confectioner).
  • You have a job or a job offer
    If you have reached the age of 45, you must provide proof of an employment contract or a binding job offer with a certain minimum salary. The minimum salary must reach 55 percent of the annual contribution assessment ceiling in the general pension insurance. This results in a minimum salary for 2020 of 45,540 euros per year. Even if this minimum salary is not reached, a residence permit may be issued upon presentation of proof of adequate pension provision or in special cases (e.g. if there is a public interest in employment).
    The amount of the contribution assessment ceiling is announced for each year by 31 December of the previous year by the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community in the Federal Gazette.
  • The Federal Employment Agency has approved the start of work (consent is usually obtained from the Foreigners' Registration Office). For approval, among other things, the following must be obtained: Their working conditions (in particular salary) must be comparable to those of a German employee in the same position.
  • If necessary, you have a professional license.
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your income without using public services.

Which documents are required?

  • Valid passport
  • Recent biometric photo
  • Original of your employment contract or a binding job offer (please use the nationwide uniform form Declaration of Employment Relationship )
  • Original certificate of successfully completed vocational training
  • If available, notification of the determination of the equivalence of the foreign professional qualification with a domestic qualified vocational training
  • In the case of regulated professions: your professional licence
  • If required: Licence to practise
  • Proof of your health insurance
  • Current registration certificate
  • Lease

In addition , if you have recently entered the country:

  • Visa, if it was required for entry

as well as in the case of a previous stay:

  • Current residence permit or other certificate of right of residence (e.g. residence permit, toleration)

What are the fees?

Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or fee waiver may be considered.

Fee: 100,00 EUR
Payment in advance: No
Issuance of residence permit

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

  • The residence permit should be applied for at least eight weeks before the expiry of your visa or residence permit, which is still valid.
  • The residence permit is issued for a limited period of time. The validity depends on the period of validity of your employment contract and the approval of the Federal Employment Agency.
  • Deadline for filing a complaint: 1 month

Processing duration

about six to eight weeks

Applications / forms

  • Forms: Declaration of employment ( uniform nationwide); Further authority-specific forms can be obtained from your Foreigners' Registration Office, if necessary these are also offered online
  • Online procedures possible in isolated cases
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance required: yes


Administrative court action:
Detailed information on this can be found in the decision rejecting your application.

  • Portal of the Federal Government for skilled workers from abroad
  • You can also get free advice on the topics of entry, residence and work from the "Hotline Working and Living in Germany" from the Federal Government's portal for skilled workers from abroad.
    Phone: 030 1815-1111
    Service hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)