Residence permit for the purpose of gainful employment Issued for the purpose of employment with strong practical professional knowledge
The residence permit must be applied for at the immigration office responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:
- Depending on the immigration office and the request, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your Foreigners' Registration Office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office.
During the appointment, your application will be received and your evidence will be checked (bring it with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- The eAT card must always be picked up in person.
There are fees for the issuance of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.
Who should I contact?
The immigration authority responsible for the applicant's place of residence;
For the accelerated skilled worker procedure:
Foreigners' Registration Office at the place of the permanent establishment where the foreigner is to be employed, unless a central office has been set up to carry out the procedure
- You have a recognised and valid passport or passport substitute and - if required for entry - an appropriate visa.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- Their stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- You have worked in IT for at least three years within the last seven years.
- You have an employment contract or a binding job offer in the field of information and communication technology.
- Your salary will reach at least 60% of the contribution assessment ceiling in the pension insurance. In 2021, 60% corresponds to a gross minimum salary of EUR 4,260 per month or EUR 51,120 per year (limit applies to the entire federal territory). The amount of the contribution assessment ceiling is announced for each year by 31 December of the previous year by the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community in the Federal Gazette (see further information).
- You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage independently without using public services.
- You have sufficient knowledge of German. This corresponds to language level B1. In individual cases, the requirement of German language skills can be waived. If this requirement is to be waived in your case, you must apply for it and justify it.
- The Federal Employment Agency has approved the start of work (consent is usually obtained from the Foreigners' Registration Office). For approval, among other things, the following must be obtained: Their working conditions (in particular salary) must be comparable to those of a German employee in the same position.
What are the fees?
Fee: 100,00 EURPayment in advance: No
Fee: 98,00 EURPayment in advance: No
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
- The residence permit should be applied for no later than eight weeks before the expiry of your valid visa or residence permit.
- The residence permit is issued for a limited period of time. The validity depends on the period of validity of your employment contract and the approval of the Federal Employment Agency.
- Objection period: 1 month
about six to eight weeks
Applications / forms
- Forms: Declaration of employment ( uniform nationwide); Further authority-specific forms can be obtained from your Foreigners' Registration Office, if necessary these are also offered online
- Online procedure possible: occasionally
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.