Applying for a residence permit to look for a job after recognition of foreign professional qualifications
If the equivalence of your foreign professional qualification has been established or you have received the professional practice permit, you can be granted a temporary residence permit to look for a job or take up self-employment directly after your previous recognition procedure. This residence permit allows gainful employment without restriction.
You can only apply for a residence permit in person at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence.
- You submit the required documents in the original and pay the application fee.
- The Foreigners' Registration Office checks whether the prerequisites for grant are met.
- If all requirements are met, the Foreigners' Registration Office will record your biometric data (photo, fingerprints) and order the electronic residence title (eAT) from Bundesdruckerei GmbH.
- As soon as the eAT has been completed, it will be handed over to you by the Foreigners' Registration Office.
You already have a residence permit for the purpose of the recognition procedure of a foreign professional qualification in Germany.
The other general conditions for issuing a residence permit are in particular:
- a secure livelihood,
- a clear identity,
- Possession of a valid national passport.
Which documents are required?
- Valid national passport
- Proof of secure livelihood (e.g. employment contract and payslips, bank statements, submission of a declaration of commitment by third parties)
- Proof of health insurance
- Proof of qualification (graduation certificate, certificate or attestation of your training company or educational institution on the successful completion of an apprenticeship
- 1 recent biometric photo
- Please ask the Foreigners' Registration Office responsible for you whether you need to submit further documents.
What are the fees?
Fee: 98,00 EURPayment in advance: No
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
Application before the expiry of the current residence permit. An interview 4 to 6 weeks before the previous residence permit expires is recommended.
The residence permit is limited to a maximum of 12 months.
The processing time depends on the workload in the locally responsible immigration authority.
Applications / forms
- Online procedure possible: no
- Written form required: no
- Personal appearance required: yes
- Administrative court action
Detailed information on how to bring an action can be found in the decision rejecting your application.
You can find more information on the Internet on the Federal Government's portal page for skilled workers from abroad
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.