Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Conversion of the foreign university degree of ethnic German repatriates into the corresponding domestic degree

As a late repatriate, you are entitled to the evaluation of your foreign university degree and to the conversion of the foreign university degree, provided that equivalence with the corresponding domestic degree is established.

Process flow

In order to have your degree obtained abroad verified, you must submit an application. You should address this to the competent authority. Which office is responsible for you depends on your place of residence in Lower Saxony.

The competent authority will evaluate your university degree obtained abroad. If equivalence to a domestic university degree is established, the foreign university degree will be converted into the corresponding domestic university degree.

The evaluation procedure ends with either a positive or a negative decision.

Competent authority

  • Competent authority for the evaluation of the foreign university degree for BVFGBeligents with regard to the degree management in Lower Saxony:
    Lower Saxony Ministry of Science and Culture, Department 27; Leibnizufer 9 ; 30169 Hannover


  • You are a late repatriate
  • You obtained your university degree in a resettlement area before entering the Federal Republic of Germany

Which documents are required?

  • Proof of recognition as a Spätaussiedler
  • Proof of your degree (school, university or vocational qualification)

The following documents are also required:

  • Declaration of name use or certificate of name change
  • a hand-signed declaration as to whether an application has already been submitted in Lower Saxony or another Land of the Federal Republic of Germany at an earlier date
  • a curriculum vitae in tabular form
  • a current registration certificate of residence in Lower Saxony
  • Subjects and overview of grades (appendix to the diploma)
  • Translation of foreign educational certificates

The documents for the school leaving certificate and university degree must be submitted in the form of certified copies.

What are the fees?

There are no fees.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?


Applications / forms

An informal application is sufficient.

What else should I know?

Further information on the use of foreign academic degrees can be found in the "Information sheet on the use of foreign academic degrees, titles and designations":

Technically approved by

Lower Saxony Ministry of Science and Culture (for the evaluation of the university degree in relation to the degree management)


The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)