Set up a carport
If you want to build a vehicle shelter on your property, you have to follow some regulations. Here you can find out when a building permit is necessary and when it is not.
There are two types of carports. Subject to approval and not subject to approval. Attention! If in doubt, check with your municipality what rules apply on your property. In the case of carports that require a permit, you still have to submit documents to your municipality. More on this under the point: Documents.
Who should I contact?
The building authority of your city or municipality is responsible.
In most municipalities and cities, carports do not require a permit if they comply with the following rules:
- Floor area up to 30 square meters and a maximum average wall height of 3 meters
- the length is at least 5 meters.
- in the case of a boundary development, the carport may be a maximum of 9 meters on one boundary and 15 meters on all boundaries.
- the width is specified at 2.5 meters, for carports with a side wall 2.4 meters
- There must be 3 meters between the carport and the road.
- On the property boundary itself and within one meter of the boundary, construction may only be carried out if the footprint is less than 36 m². The length must be no more than 9 meters. The carport must not be larger than 3 meters at its peak.
Which documents are required?
In the case of vehicle shelters subject to approval, you must usually submit the following documents. If in doubt, ask the building authority of your municipality or city.
- Structural calculations
- Construction drawing from three views
- the estimated cost of construction
- a simple site plan with an overview map
- the conscientiously and completely completed construction contract, available from the municipality, from the building authority or on the Internet
- The construction project must comply with the development plan
Tip: Often, the manufacturers of the carports will provide you with some of these documents.
What are the fees?
Within the rules, setting up is free of charge. In the case of a permit, they will find out the exact costs from their building authority.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
In any case, before building the carport, find out what is allowed in your municipality. Building without a building permit is prohibited in Lower Saxony and is punishable by law.
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.