For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Declare renunciation of German citizenship – for persons abroad

The Federal Office of Administration (BVA) is a German higher federal authority within the remit of the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community (BMI). Among other things, as a nationality authority for persons abroad, it is responsible for issues relating to nationality.

If you live abroad, have several nationalities and wish to give up your German citizenship, you can submit a declaration of renunciation of German citizenship. If the waiver can be approved, you will be issued with a waiver certificate.

The permit will not be granted if you belong to the following professional groups, among others:

  • active officials,
  • Judge
  • Soldiers

unless you have been living abroad permanently for at least 10 years.

If you are a minor, you can only renounce your German citizenship with the permission of the German family court responsible for you (at the local court). The approval of the family court is not required if the parents with custody or the parent with sole custody declare or declare the waiver for themselves and at the same time for the minor child.

For your declaration, you can also appoint an authorised person, for example a lawyer. To do this, you must present a power of attorney.

Further information can be obtained by telephone, e-mail or in a personal conversation from the German mission abroad responsible for you or from the Federal Office of Administration (BVA).

A distinction must be made between dismissal from German nationality. A dismissal is considered if you want to acquire a foreign nationality and have to give up your German citizenship beforehand.

You can declare the renunciation of German citizenship in writing to the responsible German representation abroad, online or in writing directly to the Federal Office of Administration (BVA).

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page