Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Guards / Insurance Advisors / Insurance Intermediaries / Financial Investment Intermediaries / Fee-based Financial Investment Advisors / Real Estate Loan Intermediaries; Recognition of foreign professional qualifications

The work as a security guard, insurance consultant, insurance intermediary, financial investment intermediary, fee-based financial investment advisor or real estate loan broker is regulated in Germany.
This means that you need a trade permit to be allowed to work in the professions. For the permit you need a certificate of competence.

The expertise is the professional qualification that you need for the corresponding work.

You can also prove your expertise with a professional qualification from abroad. To do this, you must have your professional qualification recognized. Professional qualifications can be: certificates of competence or evidence of training.

If you want to work permanently independently in the professions mentioned, you will also need a permit. With the permit, you may operate these professions permanently and independently as a trade. For permission, you must meet several requirements. An important prerequisite is the certificate of competence. You apply for permission in another procedure.

Process flow

  • They submit an "application for recognition of foreign certificates of competence and training" to the competent authority.
  • For professional qualifications from EU/EEA/Switzerland:
    You can submit the application and documents directly to the competent authority or to a Point of Single Contact. You can also submit the application electronically via the Point of Single Contact.
  • The competent authority will then compare your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification and check its equivalence. If your professional qualification is equivalent, it will be recognized. You will then receive the notification of equivalence (notification of recognition) by post or electronically.
  • If your professional qualification is not equivalent, it will not be recognised. You will then receive a notification of the differences in your professional qualifications. You then have the right to a compensatory measure: this can be the "specific competence test" or the "supplementary information". The competent authority will inform you about the options. If you successfully complete the compensatory measure, you will receive the notification of equivalence.
  • With the notification of equivalence, you can apply for permission for the corresponding trade. For this, you will need to submit another application.
  • You can take legal action against the decision of the competent authority. The decision will then be reviewed. We recommend that you first talk to the competent authority before taking legal action against the decision.

Competent authority

Lower Saxony Chamber of Industry and Commerce


  • You have a professional qualification as a guard, insurance consultant, insurance intermediary, financial investment intermediary, fee-based financial investment advisor or real estate loan broker from abroad.
  • You would like to settle permanently in Germany and work in one of the professions mentioned.

Which documents are required?

The competent authority will tell you which documents you need to submit. Important documents are in general:

  • Proof of identity (officially certified copy of identity card or passport)
  • List in tabular form with your education and professional experience (curriculum vitae)
  • Proof of training
  • Proof of relevant professional experience
  • Other qualifications
  • If the profession is regulated in your country of training: a certificate stating that you are allowed to practice the profession in your country of training

The competent authority will tell you which documents you need to submit in the original or as a certified copy.
You must submit your documents in German. Translations must be carried out by publicly appointed or authorised translators.

What are the fees?

The competent authority will inform you about the costs. The costs generally depend on the effort required for processing.

In addition, additional costs may arise (e.g. for translations and certifications). These costs vary from person to person.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?


Sometimes documents are still missing in the procedure. The competent authority will then inform you by when you have to submit the documents.

Processing duration

After a maximum of one month, the competent authority will confirm that your documents have arrived. The competent authority will inform you if documents are missing.

If all the necessary documents are available, the procedure takes a maximum of 3 months. In individual cases, the procedure may be extended by a maximum of one month.

Applications / forms

Forms: Forms can be obtained from the competent authority.

Online procedure: Via the Point of Single Contact

Written form requirement: possibly

Personal appearance required: no

Online procedure at the Point of Single Contact

What else should I know?

  • Freedom to provide services
    If you are established in a state of the EU, the EEA or Switzerland, you do not need recognition of your professional qualification for temporary and occasional work as a service provider in Germany. However, there are special requirements: You must report your work to the competent authority before the first activity. The notification (according to § 13a GewO) is made in a different procedure.
  • Procedure for ethnic German repatriates
    As a late repatriate, you can go through the recognition procedure either according to the laws mentioned here or according to the Federal Expellees Act. You can decide for yourself.

Technically approved by

Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training

Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)