Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Guardian / Insurance Advisor / Insurance Intermediary / Financial Investment Broker / Fee-based Financial Investment Advisor / Real Estate Loan Broker; Recognition of foreign professional qualifications

The work as a security guard, insurance consultant, insurance intermediary, financial investment broker, fee-based financial investment advisor or real estate loan broker is regulated in Germany.
This means that you need a trade permit to be allowed to work in the professions. You will need a certificate of competence for the permit.

Expertise is the professional qualification you need for the corresponding work.

You can also prove your expertise with a professional qualification from abroad. To do this, you must have your professional qualification recognised. Professional qualifications can be: certificates of competency or training certificates.

If you want to work permanently self-employed in the professions mentioned, you will also need a permit. With the permit, you are allowed to operate these professions permanently and independently as a business. You must meet several requirements for permission. An important prerequisite is the certificate of expertise. You can apply for permission in another procedure.

Process flow

  • You submit an "Application for Recognition of Foreign Qualifications and Training Certificates" to the competent authority.
  • For professional qualifications from EU/EEA/Switzerland:
    You can submit the application and documents directly to the competent authority or to a Point of Single Contact. You can also submit the application electronically via the Point of Single Contact.
  • The competent authority will then compare your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification and check the equivalence. If your professional qualification is equivalent, it will be recognised. You will then receive the notification of equivalence (recognition notice) by post or electronically.
  • If your professional qualification is not equivalent, it will not be recognised. You will then receive a notification of the differences in your professional qualifications. They then have the right to a compensatory measure: this can be the "specific competence test" or the "supplementary information". The competent authority will inform you about the options. If you successfully complete the compensatory measure, you will receive the certificate of equivalence.
  • With the notice of equivalence, you can apply for a permit for the corresponding trade. You will need to submit another application for this.
  • You can take legal action against the decision of the competent authority. The decision will then be reviewed. We recommend that you first talk to the competent authority before taking legal action against the decision.

Competent authority

Lower Saxony Chamber of Industry and Commerce


  • You have a professional qualification as a security guard, insurance consultant, insurance intermediary, financial investment broker, fee-based financial investment advisor or real estate loan broker from abroad.
  • You would like to settle permanently in Germany and work in one of the professions mentioned.

Which documents are required?

The competent authority will tell you which documents you need to submit. Important documents are in general:

  • Proof of identity (ID card or passport in officially certified copy)
  • List in tabular form with your education and professional experience (curriculum vitae)
  • Proof of education
  • Proof of relevant professional experience
  • Other qualifications
  • If the profession is regulated in your country of training: a certificate stating that you are allowed to practice the profession in your country of training

The competent authority will inform you which documents you need to submit in the original or as a certified copy.
You must submit your documents in German. Translations must be carried out by publicly appointed or authorised translators.

What are the fees?

The competent authority will inform you about the costs. The costs generally depend on the amount of work involved.

In addition, further costs may arise (e.g. for translations and certifications). These costs vary from person to person.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?


Sometimes documents are still missing from the procedure. The competent authority will then inform you by when you have to submit the documents.

Processing duration

The competent authority will confirm that your documents have arrived after a maximum of one month. The competent authority will let you know if any documents are missing.

If all the necessary documents are available, the procedure takes a maximum of 3 months. In individual cases, the procedure can be extended by a maximum of one month.

Applications / forms

Forms: Forms can be obtained from the competent authority.

Online procedure: Via the Point of Single Contact

Written form requirement: possibly

Personal appearance required: no

What else should I know?

  • Freedom to provide services
    If you are a branch in a state of the EU, the EEA or Switzerland, you do not need recognition of your professional qualification for temporary and occasional work as a service provider in Germany. However, special requirements apply: You must notify the competent authority of your work before the first activity. The notification (according to § 13a GewO) is made in a different procedure.
  • Procedure for ethnic German repatriates
    As a late repatriate, you can either go through the recognition procedure according to the laws mentioned here or according to the Federal Expellees Act. This is up to you.

Technically approved by

Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training

Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)