Apply for nursing courses for family caregivers and caregivers during caregiver leave
If you would like to care for relatives or volunteer home care, you can take part in courses and training courses offered by long-term care insurance. You can apply for participation at your long-term care insurance fund. The long-term care insurance fund is affiliated with your statutory health insurance company, so you can use the same contact details.
The free courses provide you with the necessary knowledge and the right steps to carry out home care independently. They are intended to give you confidence in dealing with people in need of care.
There are 2 types of nursing courses:
- Nursing courses in the group
- Long-term care insurance funds and other institutions such as social welfare centres or adult education centres offer general, public courses for several participants. Courses can take place on-site or online.
- Nursing training in the home
- A professional specialist will come to the home of the person in need of care and show you how to lift properly, for example. The training addresses your spatial conditions and individual situation.
In addition to basic courses, there are free special courses on certain diseases, such as dementia, Parkinson's disease, stroke or caring for children in need of care. In the courses, you will learn care measures that are geared to specific clinical pictures.
The content of the courses is specified by the nursing care fund. The contents are:
- Practical care, e.g. helpful hand movements, nutrition in old age or handling of medication
- Self-care, e.g. back-friendly lifting and carrying, dealing with psychological stress, preventative and short-term care
- Law and social affairs, such as guardianship law and what other assistance you can take advantage of
- Hygiene, e.g. help with personal hygiene and hygiene measures in the home environment of the person in need of care
You can, for example, submit the application for cost coverage for a nursing course by post or – in the case of many long-term care insurance companies – hand it in in person at the office or submit it online.
- Inquire about care courses at your long-term care insurance fund, a care support point or a municipal provider.
- Choose a nursing course and book your participation directly through the organizer.
- Download the form for participation in a care course on the website of your long-term care insurance fund.
- Fill out the form and send it to your long-term care insurance fund.
Some providers of nursing courses bill participation directly with the care insurance companies. In this case, you do not have to submit a form to your long-term care insurance fund.
Participation in a nursing course is independent of whether
- you are already in a care job,
- the person being cared for is in need of care within the meaning of social long-term care insurance,
- are already receiving outpatient care services and
- is a member of the social long-term care insurance.
In order for the costs of nursing training to be covered in the home, the person to be cared for must be able to claim care. In the case of home care training, you need the written consent of the person in need of care.
Which documents are required?
As a rule, no documentation is required. Please check with your long-term care insurance company to find out whether they require additional documents in individual cases.
What are the fees?
The application and also the participation in a nursing course or nursing training are free of charge for you.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
You don't have to meet any deadlines.
It usually takes about 3 to 7 working days to process.
In order to process and make a decision quickly, your long-term care insurance fund must have the necessary information and, if necessary, documents complete and meaningful.
The long-term care insurance fund decides on applications in a timely manner.
Please note that the stated processing time is an average value for all long-term care insurance funds. It may vary in individual cases.
The exact processing time also depends on the complexity of the individual case and can be extended accordingly. The same applies if documents or records are sent by post to you or your long-term care insurance fund.
Applications / forms
- Forms: yes
- Online procedure possible: Many long-term care insurance companies offer an online procedure.
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: no
- Appeal to the Social Court
Technically approved by
Federal Ministry of Health
Professionally released on
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.