For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Certificate of permanent residence Issuance for citizens entitled to free movement

Nationals of the European Union (EU) or of a country of the European Economic Area (EEA: Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) do not require a residence permit to enter and stay in Germany.

If you are an EU and EEA citizen and have been legally resident in Germany for a period of five years, you can obtain a right of permanent residence. You can apply to the immigration authority for the issue of a certificate of permanent residence.

The certificate of permanent residence is issued by the immigration authority after it has verified that you have reached the required periods of residence in Germany. This does not require you to stay continuously in Germany for a period of five years. Temporary absences from the Federal Territory are irrelevant for the acquisition of the right of permanent residence. Thus, even if you leave the Federal Republic of Germany for a total of six months a year, to perform military service or a replacement service, and for important reasons, a permanent stay can also be assumed once for up to twelve consecutive months (e.B. due to a serious illness, studies, vocational training).

If necessary, the immigration authority may also check the legality of your five-year stay, i.e. whether you have fulfilled the conditions of the right of free movement throughout the period.

The certificate is issued indefinitely and only confirms that you have acquired the right of permanent residence. You are not obliged to obtain or carry the certificate.

Under certain conditions, you can obtain a permanent residence right before the end of five years (e.B. if you have been permanently employed in the Federal Republic of Germany for three years and are then employed in another Member State of the European Union, but you will retain your residence in the Federal Republic of Germany and return there at least once a week). To determine whether you are complying with this or any other exception, please contact the immigration authority responsible for your residence.

With the acquisition of the right of permanent residence, you will have an improved legal status, regardless of your nationality. Thus, the right of permanent residence is independent of the continuation of the conditions for freedom of movement. In addition, your expulsion protection increases. An absence of more than two consecutive years may result in the loss of the right of permanent residence.

If you have not yet reached the age of 18, a person entitled to take care of your personal care must agree to the planned stay.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page