Determination of helplessness and levels of care allowance for war victims
If you are helpless as a result of an injury, you can apply for a monthly care allowance.
Helplessness is assumed, for example, in the case of these health disorders recognized as consequences of damage:
- Blindness and severe visual impairment
- Spinal cord injury and other disabilities that require the use of a wheelchair permanently and permanently, including within the living space
- Brain damage, seizure disorders, mental retardation and psychoses, if these health disorders alone cause a degree of injury consequences (GdS) of 100
- Loss of two or more limbs, excluding lower leg or foot amputation on both sides
For the determination of helplessness and the levels of the care allowance, the principles laid down in the Health Care Medicine Ordinance (VersMedV) apply.
You are considered helpless if you need permanent help from others for a number of frequently and regularly recurring activities to secure your personal existence.
This also applies if:
- the help in the form of monitoring or guidance is required
- the assistance does not have to be provided on a permanent basis, but a constant willingness to provide assistance is required.
The examination of whether and, if so, to what extent there is helplessness due to injury is usually carried out by means of a medical assessment (possibly as part of a home visit).
The supply according to the Federal Supply Act and the ancillary laws has been transferred by the legislature to the services of the war victim care. These are the state health care offices, pension offices, orthopaedic care centres and health care centres.
- Helplessness must be present
Which documents are required?
- Documents for the determination of helplessness (expert opinion of the medical service of the health/long-term care insurance fund, if available)
What are the fees?
Fee: free of charge
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of Social Affairs, Health and Equality
Professionally released on
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.