Apply for nursing aids
If you are cared for at home by relatives, acquaintances or a care service, you are entitled to care aids. These are intended to facilitate home care, help alleviate your symptoms or enable you to lead a more independent life. No doctor's prescription is required for nursing aids, but a recognised level of care and an application to your nursing care insurance fund do. Your long-term care insurance fund is affiliated with your statutory health insurance fund. So you can use the same contact details.
Care aids such as disposable gloves, disinfectants or absorbent bed liners are needed daily and can only be used once. For such products, your long-term care insurance fund pays a lump sum of up to EUR 40.00 per month.
Reusable technical care aids such as care beds, shower trolleys or home emergency call systems are normally provided by your long-term care insurance company on loan and free of charge. For new purchases, you pay a personal contribution of 10 percent, up to a maximum of EUR 25.00.
In practice, you often do not have to submit the initial application for care aids yourself. The medical service that prepares an expert opinion on your need for care usually also informs your long-term care insurance company whether and which care aids are needed. If you agree, this is also considered a request.
In addition, nurses can make specific recommendations for the provision of medical aids and nursing aids in the context of the provision of care in kind, home nursing, out-of-hospital intensive care and counselling assignments in the home of the person in need of care. These recommendations also count as an application. Many mail-order companies and medical supply stores specializing in nursing aids will also take care of the application for you.
If you submit the application yourself or an authorised person, specify in it which care aids you need each month. Subsequent changes are possible in terms of the type and quantity of the products. As a rule, you only have to apply for reimbursement once. However, some long-term care insurance companies only approve care aids for a limited period of time, for example for 1 year.
You can find out which products are considered care aids and are therefore eligible for reimbursement or loan in the nursing aid directory of the GKV-Spitzenverband, the central representation of the interests of the statutory health and care insurance companies in Germany.
Unless the medical service, a nurse, a medical supply store, a specialist retailer or an appraiser submits the application for nursing aids on your behalf, you will receive the application form for nursing aids from your nursing care insurance fund.
- You can apply for care aids, for example, by post or – in the case of many long-term care insurance companies – hand it in in person at the office or submit it online.
- The long-term care insurance fund will review your application and inform you of the result.
- The long-term care insurance fund
- assumes the agreed contract prices in each case
- transfers the lump sum for care aids to you on a monthly basis,
- assumes the costs for the technical care aid, minus your own contribution, or
- lends you the technical care aid.
- In the event of subsequent changes to the type and quantity of care aids, you must submit a new application.
- You have a level of care
- They are cared for in the home environment
Which documents are required?
- Notification of the long-term care insurance fund on the determination of the degree of care (expert opinion of the medical service of the long-term care insurance)
- If applicable: power of attorney, supervisor ID card
- if applicable: medical records
- If applicable: Severely disabled person's pass
- Proof of health and long-term care insurance
Depending on the individual case, further documents may be required. Please contact your long-term care insurance company for more information.
What are the fees?
You don't have to pay anything for the application.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
In principle, the long-term care insurance fund must make a decision no later than 3 weeks after receipt of the application. If it obtains an opinion from the medical service, it must inform the insured person of this and make a decision within 5 weeks of receipt of the application. If the long-term care insurance fund is unable to meet these deadlines, it will inform you in writing or electronically in good time, stating the reasons. If no sufficient reason is given, the service shall be deemed to have been approved after the expiry of the period.
It usually takes about 2 to 6 business days to process.
In order to process and make a decision quickly, your long-term care insurance fund must have the necessary information and, if necessary, documents complete and meaningful.
The long-term care insurance fund decides on applications in a timely manner.
Please note that the stated processing time is an average value for all long-term care insurance funds. It may vary in individual cases.
The exact processing time also depends on the complexity of the individual case and can be extended accordingly. The same applies if documents or records are sent by post to you or your long-term care insurance fund.
If necessary, the medical service must be involved. As a result, the processing of your request is usually extended by about 3 to 4 weeks.
Applications / forms
- Forms: yes
- Online procedure possible: Many long-term care insurance companies offer an online procedure.
- Written form required: no
- Personal appearance required: no
- Appeal to the Social Court
Technically approved by
Federal Ministry of Health
Professionally released on
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.