For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Applying for a residence permit for the purpose of school-based vocational training

You can obtain a residence permit for the purpose of school-based vocational training if your training leads to a state-recognised vocational qualification and the course of education at your training provider is not aimed exclusively at nationals of a state.

The residence permit can be issued both for qualified vocational training and for vocational training that is not qualified.

Qualified vocational training exists if it is vocational training in a state-recognised or comparably regulated training occupation for which a training period of at least two years is specified in accordance with federal or state regulations. If these requirements are not met, it is not a qualified vocational training.

If you are aiming for qualified vocational training, you should usually be able to prove sufficient language skills (language level B1). You can provide suitable language certificates as proof. Alternatively, the training company can also confirm that your language skills are sufficient for the desired qualified vocational training. If you do not yet have the required language skills, you can attend a job-related German language course to prepare for your training.

In principle, there are no requirements for language skills for the commencement of vocational training that is not qualified vocational training. As a rule, however, at least sufficient German language skills at level A2 will be required.

During a qualified vocational training, you may work up to ten hours per week in an employment that is independent of your vocational training. Gainful employment in addition to vocational training that is not qualified is not permitted. Self-employment is not permitted in any case.

The residence permit for the purpose of school-based vocational training is a temporary residence permit. It is issued for the duration of the school-based vocational training.

If your qualified vocational training is terminated prematurely for reasons for which you are not responsible, you can in principle be given the opportunity to look for another training place for a period of up to six months.

The residence permit to participate in school attendance can also be issued on the basis of bilateral and multilateral agreements between the countries and public authorities in other countries.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page