Applying for an extension of the residence permit to carry out a qualification measure
The residence permit for carrying out a qualification measure is a temporary residence permit. You can apply for an extension of your residence permit if the qualification measure(s) has not yet compensated for the deficits of foreign qualifications, e.g. because you have to repeat an examination or because the examinations are preceded by long waiting times.
The same conditions apply to the extension of the residence permit for the purpose of carrying out a qualification measure as for the grant. In particular, your livelihood should be secured for the entire duration of the qualification measure(s).
In the event of an extension, your residence permit will be limited again. The residence permit for the purpose of carrying out a qualification measure may be extended by six months. However, the total duration of stay for the purpose of carrying out the qualification measures may not exceed two years.
As a rule, the residence permit cannot be extended if this was already excluded when the residence permit was issued or last extended.
The extension of your residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence.
- Depending on the immigration authority and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration authority offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, please arrange an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- During the appointment, your application will be received and your supporting documents will be checked (please bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the issuance of the electronic residence permit (eAT).
- In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to arrange an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your proof will be checked (please bring it with you to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the issuance of the eAT card.
- If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- Fees apply for the extension of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority
The foreigners' authority responsible for the place of residence of the applicant .
- You have a recognised and valid passport or passport substitute as well as a valid residence permit for the purpose of carrying out a qualification measure for the purpose of recognising your foreign professional qualification in accordance with Section 16d (1) of the Residence Act.
- The validity period of your residence permit will expire in the near future.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany
- The qualification measure is still suitable to enable the recognition of the professional qualification or access to the profession.
- Their livelihood is secured.
Which documents are required?
- Passport or passport substitute
- Current biometric photo
- Existing residence permit
- Proof of subsistence (e.g. blocked account at a bank)
- Proof of your health insurance
- Proof of qualification measure, if applicable. Continuing education plan
What are the fees?
- Extension of the residence permit for the implementation of a qualification measure for the recognition of foreign professional qualifications:
for a further stay of up to three months: EUR 96
for a further stay of more than three months: EUR 93
- Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or exemption may be considered.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
- Extension of the residence permit: at the latest eight weeks before the expiry of your valid residence permit
- Deadline for appeal: 1 month
about six to eight weeks
Applications / forms
- Forms: Authority-specific forms can be obtained from your Foreigners' Registration Office, which may also be offered online.
- Online procedures possible in some cases
- Written form required: yes
- Personal attendance required: yes
An action may be brought before the competent administrative court against negative decisions of the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- Central Office for Professional Recognition:
- Recognition in Germany:
- You can also get free advice on the topics of entry, residence and work from the "Hotline Working and Living in Germany" from the Federal Government's portal for skilled workers from abroad.
Phone: 030 1815-1111
Service hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Portal of the Federal Government for skilled workers from abroad:
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sport
Division 64 (Law on Aliens and Asylum)
Professionally released on
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.