Applying for an extension of the residence permit for the purpose of preparing and studying
The residence permit for the purpose of studying is a temporary residence permit. You can apply for the extension of the residence permit if you have not yet completed your studies but can still achieve it within a reasonable period of time. For the duration of stay, a stay of ten years is usually the upper limit.
When deciding on the extension of a residence permit for the purpose of studying, the Foreigners' Registration Office may obtain and take into account opinions from the university or other institutions approved for training or further education in questions of study requirements, the course of study, the degree and other academic matters.
The same requirements apply to the extension of the residence permit for the purpose of studying as to the issuance of the permit. In particular, your livelihood should be secured for the duration of your studies.
In the event of an extension, your residence permit will be limited again. The residence permit for the purpose of studying is extended by at least one year and usually by two years or for the remaining duration of the studies.
In the case of participation in an EU or multilateral programme with mobility measures (e.g. ERASMUS+ programme of the European Union) or if the foreigner is subject to an agreement between two or more higher education institutions, the residence permit will be extended for at least two years. If the course lasts less than two years, it will be extended for its duration.
As a rule, the residence permit cannot be extended if this has already been ruled out when the residence permit was issued or the last time it was extended.
You must apply for the extension of your residence permit at the Foreigners' Registration Office responsible for your place of residence.
- Depending on the Foreigners' Registration Office and your concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your Foreigners' Registration Office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, please make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your supporting documents will be checked (please bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the issuance of the electronic residence permit (eAT).
- In the case of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application to arrange an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your certificates will be checked (please bring them with you to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the issuance of the eAT card.
- If your application is approved, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be issued.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
There are fees for the extension of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority
The Foreigners' Registration Office responsible for the applicant's place of residence .
- You have a recognised and valid passport or passport substitute as well as a valid residence permit for the purpose of studying in accordance with § 16b (1) of the Residence Act.
- The validity period of your residence permit will expire in the near future.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany
- You have not yet completed your studies and can prove that you can achieve it in a reasonable period of time.
- Your livelihood is secured for the entire duration of your studies.
Which documents are required?
- Passport or passport substitute
- Recent biometric photo
- Existing residence permit
- Proof of subsistence (e.g. blocked account at a German bank, scholarship certificate or declaration of commitment)
- Proof of your health insurance
- If applicable, proof of achievements in the course of study
What are the fees?
- Extension of residence permit for the purpose of studies
- for a further stay of up to three months: EUR 96
- for a further stay of more than three months: EUR 93
- Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or fee exemption may be considered
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
- Extension of the residence permit: no later than eight weeks before the expiry of your residence permit for the purpose of studying, which is still valid,
- Deadline for appeal: 1 month
about six to eight weeks
Applications / forms
- Forms: Authority-specific forms can be obtained from your Foreigners' Registration Office, or they may also be offered online.
- Online procedures possible in isolated cases
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes
Negative decisions of the Foreigners' Registration Office may be appealed to the competent administrative court.
- You can also get free advice on the topics of entry, residence and work from the "Hotline Working and Living in Germany" of the Federal Government's portal for skilled workers from abroad.
Phone: 030 1815-1111
Service hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Portal of the Federal Government for Skilled Workers from Abroad
Technically approved by
Lower Saxony Ministry of the Interior and Sports
Unit 64 (Immigration and Asylum Law)
Professionally released on
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.