Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Apply for funding for people with disabilities who want to complete an apprenticeship

If you need special assistance with vocational training due to physical, psychological, sensory or learning impairments, you can obtain a vocational qualification in a recognised training occupation with rehabilitation-specific training. This can also be a specialist practitioner training for people with disabilities. You will complete your training in accordance with the currently valid training regulations or training regulations and their training framework plans.

You can then either

  • in the company with the support of an educational institution (in-company training)
  • or directly at an educational institution
  • or in a vocational rehabilitation facility

If the Employment Agency is your responsible rehabilitation provider, it will cover the costs.

The funding period covers the duration of training, which is usually 2 to 3 years. If you have to repeat exams and your training period is extended as a result, the funding will also be extended.

In-company training

If you complete in-company training, you and your training company can receive support. You will be supported to:

  • to get an in-company training place,
  • successfully complete their training through needs-based socio-pedagogical and, in some cases, psychological support, and
  • to get a job on the labour market afterwards.

An educational institution accompanies you throughout the entire duration of your training with teaching, support and counselling services and helps you with problems at the vocational school and in the company. Your training company also receives support from your educational institution. You conclude the training contract with the company and receive a training allowance from the training company. In addition, you are entitled to transitional allowance or training allowance. However, your training allowance will be deducted from this. The costs of support from the educational institution are paid by the Employment Agency.

External training

If it is not possible for you to train in the company, you can do the training at an educational institution or in a vocational rehabilitation institution that is designed to meet the specific needs of young people with disabilities (extra-company training). Depending on the target group and equipment, the providers have their own training workshops, offices and companies with disability-friendly workplace design and provide you with pedagogical and sometimes psychological support. Vocational rehabilitation facilities also offer housing and leisure facilities and are available for occupational health questions.

The aim is for you to complete as much practical training as possible in a cooperation company in your area that is authorised to provide training. At the same time, you will usually attend the local vocational school. You conclude the training contract with your educational institution. They will accompany you throughout the entire duration of your training with teaching, support and counselling services, coordinate the course of your training and help you with problems at the vocational school and in the company.

You determine the training objective in consultation with your counsellor at the Employment Agency. At the end of the training period, you will take your exam in front of the competent chamber. Your educational institution or vocational rehabilitation institution will prepare you for this and will also help you cope with study stress and exam anxiety. You will not receive any training allowance during your training. However, you are entitled to either transitional allowance or training allowance and you are covered by social security. The entire training costs are paid by the Employment Agency.

Whether you are able to undertake rehabilitation-specific training – supported by the company or outside the company – depends, among other things, on:

  • whether the measure is suitable for you and your specific case in order to increase your chances of successfully completing your training,
  • what your personal inclinations are and how they can be useful in your professional life,
  • which activities you would like to carry out and

how the training and labour market is currently developing.

Process flow

In order to receive rehabilitation-specific training measures, you must contact your employment agency:

  • To do this, make an appointment with the Vocational Rehabilitation and Participation team at your employment agency.
  • If you do not yet have a personal contact person at the Employment Agency, please make an appointment via the service hotline of the Federal Employment Agency.
  • During the consultation, it will be clarified whether the rehab-specific training is suitable for you.
  • If your counsellor determines that a rehabilitation-specific training course is suitable for you, you will be immediately marked for it. Your advisor will also discuss the forms you need to fill out with you. You can also fill out the documents online.
  • You will receive a written notification as soon as a place is available.
  • The Employment Agency will register you with the educational institution or the institution of vocational rehabilitation.
  • You conclude a training contract with a company or, in the case of extra-company training, with an educational institution or vocational rehabilitation facility and start your training.


  • You have a disability and your rehabilitation provider is the Federal Employment Agency.
  • You have completed compulsory schooling, but have not completed vocational training. A second vocational training can be funded if the completion of the second vocational training is necessary for your permanent professional integration.
  • Your prospects of participating in working life are not only temporarily significantly reduced due to the nature or severity of your disabilities.
    • Or: You are threatened with a disability with the same professional consequences.
  • Due to the nature and severity of your disabilities, the general statutory benefits are not sufficient to promote your participation in working life.
  • They are willing to undergo vocational training or other professional integration.
  • You can be expected to complete the training.

Which documents are required?

When you contact your advisor, please ask what documents you need.

What are the fees?


Processing duration

The processing usually takes several weeks. Once the service has been approved, the measure should begin as soon as possible in consultation with the provider.

Applications / forms

Forms available: No
Written form required: No
Informal application possible: Yes
Personal appearance required: Yes
Online services available: Yes


Appeal to the Employment Agency, which issued the decision. Further information on how to file an objection can be found in the respective notice.

Technically approved by

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)