Apply for a residence permit for recognition of professional qualifications on the basis of an agreement with the Federal Employment Agency
You can obtain a residence permit for the recognition of your foreign professional qualification if you have been placed in employment in the health and care sector on the basis of an agreement between the Federal Employment Agency and the employment service of your country of origin (e.g. within the framework of the "Triple Win" programme for the placement of nursing staff) or on the basis of an agreement in another selected field.
You do not have to go through a recognition procedure in Germany before the residence permit is issued. This can also be started after arrival in Germany. The procedure required for this purpose as a whole is regulated in the mediation agreement.
The Federal Employment Agency must have approved the pursuit of employment in the desired occupational field. The approval of the Federal Employment Agency is granted for a limited period of one year. Consent may be granted for employment in both regulated and non-regulated professions if certain conditions are met.
Regulated professions are those for which special professional qualifications had to be acquired for access and practice, such as doctors, architects, pharmacists. You can find out whether your profession is regulated in Germany, which laws regulate it and which office you need to contact to check your qualifications on the information portal "Recognition in Germany" (see "Further information").
The Federal Employment Agency may grant its consent for employment in a regulated profession if the desired employment is closely related to the professional knowledge in the profession to be recognised after entry and other requirements are met (see under "Requirements"). There is a close professional connection if you e.g. want to have their qualifications as a health and paediatric nurse recognised and want to work in the nursing assistant sector during the recognition procedure.
The residence permit entitles the holder to pursue employment for up to ten hours a week, independent of the professional qualification to be recognised .
The residence permit for the recognition of professional qualifications on the basis of an agreement with the Federal Employment Agency is a temporary residence permit. It is granted for one year.
The residence permit must be applied for at the Foreigners' Registration Office responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:
- Depending on the Foreigners' Registration Office and your concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your Foreigners' Registration Office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
- If it is only possible to apply in person, please make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your supporting documents will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eATKarte).
- In the case of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your proof will be checked (bring it with you to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eATKarte to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- The eAT card must always be picked up in person.
- There are fees for the issuance of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.
Who should I contact?
The Foreigners' Registration Office responsible for the applicant's place of residence
- You have a recognised and valid passport or passport substitute and, if required for entry, an appropriate visa.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- You have been placed in employment on the basis of a placement agreement between the Federal Employment Agency and the employment service of your country of origin.
- The Federal Employment Agency has approved the exercise of employment in the desired occupational field if the consent is required.
Consent is usually obtained from the Foreigners' Registration Office. This can be granted if certain conditions are met.
If you want to work in a regulated profession , you must meet the following requirements:
- You can submit a concrete job offer for qualified employment in the profession to be recognised after entry.
- For employment in the desired occupational field, a professional practice permit has already been issued, insofar as this is required.
- You declare that, after entering Germany, you will carry out the procedure at the competent recognition office to determine the equivalence of your foreign professional qualification and, if necessary, to issue the professional practice permit.
If you want to work in a non-regulated profession , you must declare that you will carry out the procedure for determining the equivalence of your foreign professional qualification at the competent authority after entering Germany.
- You have the German language skills specified in the placement agreement, which usually correspond to level A2.
You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage without using public benefits.
Which documents are required?
- Valid passport
- Recent biometric photo
- Visa, if required
- Proof of subsistence
- Proof of foreign professional qualification
- Proof of your health insurance
- If applicable, a professional practice permit
- In the case of regulated professions: Concrete job offer for qualified employment in the profession to be recognised after entry
- Proof of language proficiency (certificate)
What are the fees?
Issuance of residence permit: EUR 100.00
Under certain conditions, a fee reduction or fee exemption may be considered.
What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?
- The residence permit should be applied for at least eight weeks before the expiry of your visa, which is still valid.
- Objection period: 1 month
about six to eight weeks
Applications / forms
- Forms: Forms are available from your Foreigners' Registration Office, or they may also be offered online
- Online procedures possible in isolated cases
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: yes
- You can also get free advice on the topics of entry, residence and work from the "Hotline Working and Living in Germany" of the Federal Government's portal for skilled workers from abroad.
Phone: 030 1815-1111
Service hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Recognition in Germany:
Technically approved by
Ministry of the Interior and Local Government
of the State of Brandenburg
Professionally released on
The text was automatically translated based on the German content.