For an area outside of Lower Saxony and foreign languages, some menu items and functions are not available. Please go to the service page of the respective country.

For Citizens

Enter your place of residence or the place where you would like to contact the administration or use the location determination.

Capital gains tax exemption

In certain cases, you can avoid deducting capital gains from the outset:

Exemption order

If your taxable capital gains do not exceed €801 or €1,602 for taxable spouses/partners/partners per year, an exemption order to your credit institution is sufficient to avoid the tax deduction of capital gains by the bank.

You can also distribute the saver lump sum of €801/€1,602 to several credit institutions. Within a credit institution, it is not permitted to limit the exemption order to individual accounts or deposits.

Non-assessment certificate (NV certificate)

If your income, including capital gains, does not exceed the basic income tax allowance in the calendar year, you can apply for an NV certificate from your local home tax office. The NV certificate is then sent by the tax office.

Once the NV certificate has been presented to your credit institution, it can pay off the capital gains without deducting taxes. When it is certified, please bear in mind that you need a copy for each credit institution where you earn capital gains.

An NV certificate will not be issued if you are expected to be assessed for income tax or upon application. Therefore, you will not receive an NV certificate if you have been found to have a remaining loss deduction for you.

The NV certificate shall be issued subject to revocation with a maximum period of three years and must end at the end of a calendar year.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)

Top of the Page