Please enter a search term.
Please note:You can only obtain complete information if you indicate the place of residence, the place of business or the building project, depending on the procedure.

Apply for medical rehabilitation at the expense of pension insurance

Medical rehabilitation serves to improve or restore your earning capacity.

A repetition of medical rehabilitation is generally possible after 4 years – unless the benefit is required prematurely for health reasons.

Rehabilitation is used to treat health and functional disorders. The type of treatment and selection of the rehabilitation facility depends on your complaints.

The rehabilitation takes place in a rehabilitation facility of the pension insurance or in one of its contract facilities. Medical rehabilitation services are possible both inpatient and full-time outpatient and usually last 3 weeks. For addicts, there are regulations deviating from this form and duration of benefits.

This is paid by the pension insurance:

  • the journey
  • the accommodation
  • catering
  • medical care
  • the therapeutic services
  • the medical applications

In the case of inpatient medical rehabilitation, you can contribute a maximum of EUR 10.00 per day to the costs. The co-payment depends on the amount of your income.

If employers do not continue to pay their salary during your medical rehabilitation due to similar pre-existing conditions, you may receive a transitional allowance from the pension insurance.

You cannot receive medical rehabilitation if you

  • are entitled to a similar benefit from another rehabilitation institution (e.g. accident insurance) because of an accident at work, an occupational disease or injury caused by third parties,
  • are civil servants, soldiers, judges. Please contact your local Integration Office to find out from whom you can receive benefits,
  • are already receiving or have applied for an old-age pension (at least two-thirds of the full pension),
  • have permanently retired from working life and, for example, receive a company pension until the start of their retirement pension, or
  • are in pre-trial detention or serving a custodial sentence.

Process flow

You can submit your application online, in person or in writing.

Online application:

  • On the website of the German Pension Insurance (DRV) under "Online Services" you will find detailed information on the process.
  • If you follow the link "Submit application", you will be guided through the further steps and can select the desired application.
  • Alternatively, you can use the online services with registration. For example, you can immediately see which insurance periods have already been recorded. In addition, you save time and do not have to re-enter already known data.
  • Complete the application form completely and upload the required documents.
  • Submit your application online.
  • You will receive a confirmation of delivery.
  • The competent pension insurance institution will examine your application.
  • You will receive a notification of your application.

Personal application:

  • Compile the necessary documents for your application and make an appointment with the DRV.
  • When making an appointment online, your personal data and, if possible, your insurance number are required.
  • You can select a desired counselling centre and your desired date. Depending on the availability of free dates, you will receive a proposal for a binding consultation appointment.
  • In your personal interview, your application will be recorded electronically and forwarded online to the responsible pension insurance provider.
  • The competent pension insurance institution will examine your application.
  • You will receive a notification of your application.

Written request:

  • Go to the DRV website.
  • Download the desired application form.
  • You can also pick up the form in person at the information and advice centres.
  • Fill in the application form, sign it and attach the required documents.
  • Send all documents
    • by post to your pension insurance institution or
    • hand them in at one of the local counselling centres.
  • The competent pension insurance institution will examine your application.
  • You will receive a notification of your application.

Your application can also be made for you by a person you trust. Please submit a power of attorney to the pension insurance. As long as the power of attorney is valid, the pension insurance applies exclusively to the person authorized by you.

If you give your consent to electronic communication, all correspondence may take place online. Either you use the electronic mailbox under the online services with registration or De-Mail.


You can receive medical rehabilitation from the pension insurance if you

  • have been insured in the statutory pension insurance scheme for at least 15 years (so-called "waiting period of 15 years") or
  • receive a pension due to reduced earning capacity, or
  • receive a large widow's or widower's pension due to reduced earning capacity, or
  • have paid compulsory contributions for insured employment or activity for 6 calendar months in the last 2 years prior to the application, or
  • have exercised an insured employment or self-employed activity within 2 years of training until the application or were incapable of work or unemployed after such employment or activity until the application, or
  • are less employable or this is to be expected in the foreseeable future if you meet the general waiting period of 5 years.

Which documents are required?

  • Report of findings from your attending physician

What are the fees?

There are no costs.

What deadlines do I have to pay attention to?

There are no deadlines.

Processing duration

Usually 3 weeks.

Applications / forms

Forms available: Yes

Written form required: No

Informal application possible: No

Personal appearance required: No

Online services available: Yes


  • Contradiction
    Detailed information on how to file an objection can be found in your decision.
  • Complaint
    Detailed information on how to bring an action can be found in the notice of opposition.

Technically approved by

Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS)

Professionally released on



The text was automatically translated based on the German content.

Source: Serviceportal Niedersachsen (Portalverbund des Bundes und der Länder)